CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: Kayaking/Canoeing Laws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Kayaking/Canoeing Laws Reply with quote

I have been wondering this lately and really could not find anything pertaining to it in the CT boaters guide so maybe someone on here can clarify it for me. First one being someone once told me that a PFD must be worn at ALL times while operating a kayak or canoe is this true? Also what is the rule about putting either in a body of water. The anglers and boaters guide only list so many places. I basically go with if it doesn't mention anything about the operation of vessels or boats prohibited, then I will use my kayak in there.
hila2006

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, the pfd thing is only during colder months. I believe it's like October til May, I'm not sure of the actual dates though. Phil had said it is listed somewhere in the boater guide I think. So you do not have to wear one 24/7. I think your right on the yak thing to, if it isn't posted "no vessels" I believe you can launch and go dude.
ripline

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pfd question is under Part 8- Safety Information

Canoe and Kayak Safety
• Wear Your Life Jacket (PFD)! Is it the proper size and in good condition? There must be a wearable PFD aboard for each person. From October 1st through May 31st, you MUST wear a PFD (state law) when in a manually propelled vessel.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=322292&depNav_GID=1620
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Joe. John's right that you must wear a PFD if you're aboard a manually propelled vessel from October 1 to May 31:
Quote:
Sec. 15-121-A17. Personal flotation devices for manually propelled vessels.
During the period from October first through May thirty-first all persons aboard a manually propelled vessel shall wear a Type I, II, III, V or V Hybrid United States Coast Guard approved personal flotation device of appropriate size and in serviceable condition. Except as provided in subsection (b) of section 15-121-A13 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, no operator, owner or user of said manually propelled vessel shall allow any person to be aboard who is not wearing such a device.

Regarding access to inland waters:
Quote:
26-112-39. Conduct of fishermen
The following regulations relating to fishing and the behavior and conduct of fishermen apply through the inland district.
(a) Entrance and exit from streams, lakes and ponds is restricted to rights-of-way designated by posters or when consent has been obtained from the landowner or his agent.

Here's a link to the DEEP Regulations (Sorted by subject):

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2704&q=323516

And here's a link to the 2012 Connecticut Boater's Guide on the DEEP's website:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=322292

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, knew you'd have it down a little better than me.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying the PFD thing up for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: