CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington @ bikepath bridge in Farmington??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toonces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Farmington @ bikepath bridge in Farmington?? Reply with quote

anyone have any luck fishing by the bikepath bridge over the Farmington right off Farmington Ave/Rte 4 behind the Valero and ballparks? i like it's easy access so i take the kid there to skip rocks. i see fish rise there all the time and have fished with no luck a couple times. any suggestions? thanks!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best suggestion I have is that you should get yourself a boat. I've fished that section of the Farmington River from the canoe launch that's almost directly underneath the pedestrian bridge for the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail. The park with the baseball fields is off of Wannowmassa Lane and is called River Glen. The DEEP dumps trout into the river from the canoe launch. If you head upriver from there, you'll find trout and yellow perch. If you head underneath the bridge and downriver, you'll find trout, yellow perch, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, black crappie, rock bass and white perch.

If you'd like to paddle and fish from one of my kayaks, send me a PM when you'll be free during a weekend and we could try to get out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
The best suggestion I have is that you should get yourself a boat. I've fished that section of the Farmington River from the canoe launch that's almost directly underneath the pedestrian bridge for the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail. The park with the baseball fields is off of Wannowmassa Lane and is called River Glen. The DEEP dumps trout into the river from the canoe launch. If you head upriver from there, you'll find trout and yellow perch. If you head underneath the bridge and downriver, you'll find trout, yellow perch, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, black crappie, rock bass and white perch.

If you'd like to paddle and fish from one of my kayaks, send me a PM when you'll be free during a weekend and we could try to get out there.

PECo what's your favorite spot to fish from as far as the farmington goes (in the farmington valley). I fish it in Simsbury all the time and have pulled out Fall Fish, Rock Bass, Crappie, but no luck on Largemouth or Smallmouth yet. Where does it start mixing with that much variety like you said above?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish this stretch out of convenience, but it's never produced an impressive fish for me. Upriver of the bridge, I've caught yellow perch, trout, eels, and one largemouth. Downriver, I've only caught <2lb largemouth (wading near the point where the water slows significantly & the river widens.) It strikes me as a good carping spot more than anything.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I dove the whole area theres rotten pier posts in the water right under the bridge so be real careful if you decide to paddle through its a BAD pin potental normaly I would port my canoe below the bridge then fish the pond like area below it . I have caught LMG , trout,smallies ,calico rockies and the rare pikeral out of the area. later in the evening the water gets real active at the far end where it narrows back into more of a river looking area. after diveing the place looking down stream shalows are to the left while the deeper water runs the right side mostly a sand gravel bottom but weeds where thickening over the years ...hope this helps ya

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite spot to fish on the Farmington River is no longer accessible:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/farmington-river-farmington-04-14-t8918.html

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area that you guys are talking about is basically in my backyard. I've fished it for a long time. I've caught decent trout and bass in the area.

One night I saw an "old timer" with a saltwater setup down there. I asked him what he was hoping to catch, after I made a snyder comment about the stripers not being able to make it up the river this far. He told me he was going after large pike in the area. He told me he has caught some real monsters out of this area of the river. Now, either I didn't get the memo or the pike don't like me but I've yet to hook up with a monster pike in this section of the river. The area Peco mentioned thats now closed off used to hold some absolute beautiful bass.

I've "heard" of some 4-6lb trout caught through the ice a few years ago when we had that long cold spell.

Anyway if anyone wants to fish this section of the river shoot me a message and I'll be happy to fish it. I fish that section out of my kayak.

-Jim
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya the gravel yard ponds use to be a hot little honey hole but it stay out now area Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: