CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Bait caster for Surf Casting?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Bait caster for Surf Casting? Reply with quote

I recently got a bait caster for freshwater and I really like it. I can cast plenty far and I feel like i have more control over my lures and more sensitivity to bites. The rod has more stiffness to it but still has enough bend,

Id like to get a more substantial bait casting rig for shore fishing for stripers. I wouldnt really call it "surf" casting because there is little in the way of a surf here is the sound.

Does anyone use a baitcaster for saltwater shore fishing?

Im going for Stripers mostly but im sure ill hook up with a few blues along the way.

thanks

mike
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all I buy. I use the Okuma Coronado CD65's and CD80's and love them. Im sure the Shimano is better but I can get 3 or 4 of these for that price and not worry about beating them up a little. I have 4 of these and keep 2 set up for Stripers with 40 lb Power Pro Superslick on them with 50 lb Flouro leader and for Blues I have 20 lb mono on for now but will probably switch to Power Pro braid for those also. I tried braid on my fresh water gear last year and didnt like itr but it must have been the brand cause I love this Power Pro, way better casting and for Stripers I can put a lot of line on for those long runs!!!!! Ill probably go with 20 lb braid for the blues though and even then Im still over where I need to be but at least I can switch over for stripers if I pull an all nighter with blues til night and then stripers late night early morn, just yank off the steel leader!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, most of the time Im not even using the bait feeder option but with a leader and a swivel on there I tend to reel up too much so just hit the feeder switch to let a little line out. Even if I didnt use the feeder switch for its primary use Id rather have all my reels have it and not that stupid reverse lever!

ripline

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an Abu Garcia 6500 c3ct mag for a while (it's a round reel). It casted like a dream but I found I didn't do as much true surf casting and really didn't need it. One of the few reels that I ever sold.

If you are just looking for a low profile reel for throwing plugs in the salt, the Shimano Citica 200 dsv has treated me well.

Good luck with your decision.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Im going to check out those reels you guys mentioned. I was planning on using braid, I hated it when I tried spider wire a few years ago. I use stren sonic braid now and it handles much much better.

Line is one of the things I don't skimp on, good line makes a big difference.

I honestly don't see me catching anything over 30 lbs. I just throw plugs & swim baits, maybe livelines an eel or shiner. I like he low profile because that is what I know, seems like it would be easier/more comfortable as well.

With braided, I could get close to 100lb line on my reel no problem. Im just worried it couldn't handle the salt, sand & heavier tackle.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice lookin reel rip.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever caught a 30 lber in some current its either going to strip all your line off or snap your line. With a strong current like in the river or breachwsy it almost dbles the weight of the fish. Thats why I like a lot of line on there.

ripline

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey5string wrote:

I honestly don't see me catching anything over 30 lbs. I just throw plugs & swim baits, maybe livelines an eel or shiner. I like he low profile because that is what I know, seems like it would be easier/more comfortable as well.

As ff mentioned, you have to concern yourself with line capacity if you fish heavy river flow areas or areas with a fast tide/current. I use the Shimano Citica on a 7ft rod from shore on the Hous in slow moving water and from a boat and have never had a problem. 30 lb braid has served me just fine for both capacity and strength.

If you want to fish heavy current areas or liveline, and want to stick with a baitcaster I would look into a round one for capacity reasons. I think one of the Abu's actually has a clicker for that purpose as well.
therieldeal

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up an Abu 5501c3 for tossing large lures, for stripers, pike, etc. I absolutely LOVE it, casts like a dream. Even with a 7.5 foot rod i can throw a 1 oz bucktail a "country mile". It doest have a clicker though. If you need one for bait fishing you could go with the 6500 series for a bit more line capacity (same diameter, just wider) and a clicker.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just realized you were saying bait caster and not bait runner! LOL.....

toonces

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a Curado 200 DSHV that i've been using for inshore fishing (and some freshwater). love it. so much so i'm looking at the 300 EJ (with big handle and more capacity but similar weight and form factor) to pair with a heavy 7'6" rod for whatever i can get ocean-side. will probably spool it with 30 or 40lb braid. it's not a cheap reel but can handle saltwater if you take decent care of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: