CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: Poachers! argh
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silencer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Poachers! argh Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I found a nice fishing hole deep in the woods that seemed to not get many visitors. It was like fishing in a barrel, had a fish on every few casts. Kept two smaller trout for dinner (about 12" length each) and released the rest like I usually do. Went back a few mornings since and it went basically the same way.

This morning, there was trash and empty beer bottles thrown about and dead suckers and sunnies off to the side (shame too, some good sized suckers that I would have loved to catch... they always put up a good fight). Caught one trout and three tangled up messes of fishing line in a 3 hour period. Another good spot ruined this year.

That is why seeing people going back and forth to their vehicles and keeping 30 trout in one day makes my blood boil and that is why I set a personal limit of keeping 2 trout per day (and only when it is obvious the fishing hole is well stocked! I would rather let most of them go so they can grow up to have me catch them again Cool) I love eating fish, but I definitely would rather be catching them more. Sorry to vent but this lack of respect for the fish they don't want and throwing them off to the side to die is what I found most disturbing. Anyone else feel the same way?
TT

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are seeing these people take more than their limit why aren't you calling the TIP line to report them? The number to call is right on your license.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you dont report it, it never happened =P

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Silencer, I feel the same way. Wink It's frustrating having to pick up trash around lakes and rivers, especially fishing related trash. I've also picked up soggy pizza boxes, beer bottles and even a car battery from the shoreline. Some people are just stupid. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed...these jerks give us "sportsmen" a bad name and cleaning up after them is not fun. I now have the TIP hotline number in my phone after seeing some questionable practices recently at a local place I frequent. Unfortunately some people have no respect for our resources.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil & DD,

You guys said it well
I agree with you 100% -> But you knew I would!

Poachers and Trashers -> Most dispicable of all people!

Picked up 1/2 a garbage bag of trash at Highland the other day and some broken beer bottles near the beach. -> God forbid some little kid should accidentally step on that !

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Thu May 17, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or some old kid Wink
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

Didn't know you still -> "Tip Toed Thru the Tulips!" LOL Laughing

Best regards,
SeaDog1
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%, bring it in, take it out. Just plain slobs. Yes DD they do give us"good sportsmen" a very bad name. This is why most private lakes and ponds remain that way. I went to Beseck a few weeks ago and there was broken glass all over the ramp area. I had no broom, but I spent 10 minutes kicking it off the parking lot and ramp area so no one would get a damn flat tire. It really ticks me off to see such disrespect.
Silencer

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall put that TIP hotline on my speed dial. May come in handy for a few locations I know of where people tend to brag about keeping more than their limit.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few instances where i've seen ppl keeping their limit at one location, then i see them keeping more at another nearby location. Or i've seen one guy at a trout pond with his 4 kids with his intended "limit" of 25 fish, It gets to be a little ridiculous and selfish as well.

As far as trash. Remember the good ol' days where there were numerous spots along the CT river where you could find dirt roads and hundreds and hundreds of yards of fishing shore? Or when there wasn't much "private property" and no tresspassing signs? I'm only 25, and I can remember a few places we used to frequent when i was a kid, and I know some of you older guys who've been around a lot longer than i have remember them too.

Places that get trashed get closed. Simple as that. Whoever owns the land gets fed up with all the trash, gates it off and puts up no tresspassing signs. And i can't say i blame them. It's a damn shame for some great area to get closed because some slob is too lazy to take out the trash they take in. And then they'll be some of the first people to complain its closed.

morons

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: