CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: Furled Leaders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snap fisher777

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Furled Leaders Reply with quote

Can furled leaders with dry flies be good for rainbow trout?
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used them personally but from what I understand (was told when I asked the question of someone) that you can use them for dry flies. If i remember correctly, furled leaders are supposed to turn over easier and offer a more delicate delivery and have no memory. I've been meaning to try some, but I definitely have no desire to make them on my own. I do tie up my own long leaders for Euro nymphing. Hopefully someone here has had personal experience with them and can chime in.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used them and don't like them nor would I suggest using them.

I find that they collect dirt and get build up after a while which can make the leader heavier and sink causing your dry fly to follow, also they dont cut thru the wind as easy which when windy can make accurate roll casting a royal pain in the @$$.
snap fisher777

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_BASSman wrote:

I find that they collect dirt and get build up after a while which can make the leader heavier and sink causing your dry fly to follow, also they dont cut thru the wind as easy which when windy can make accurate roll casting a royal pain in the @$$.
Did you make the furled leader homemade because I use make homemade mono ones so I not sure if that one would.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap fisher777 wrote:
CT_BASSman wrote:

Did you make the furled leader homemade because I use make homemade mono ones so I not sure if that one would.

No they were pre-made Blue Sky furled leaders. They're made out of nylon, which is why they collected the dirt. Although ones made of mono wont, they'll still have the same problem with cutting thru the wind IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: