CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: New to fishing, advice on buying a rod?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Shark

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: New to fishing, advice on buying a rod? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm fairly new to fishing so I was wondering what sorts of rods would be good for me? My budget is about $30-$40. I want to be able to catch larger fish.

I went fishing yesterday on the CT River with some friends, and caught about 2 trout (I think) but quite painfully as the line kept getting tangled at the reel whenever I tossed it out into the water.

Any suggestions on something that won't tangle up on me would be good.

Thanks!
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40 will get you an Ugly Stik combo rod which is terrific for the price. You can find one at your local Walmart with the rod and reel ready to go.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, Usually a lot of people are sailing items on here as well. If you keep your eye open you can get a good deal.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to consider is what type of line you are using. If its getting tangled, it might not always be the pole/reel.

Are you using mono, braided, fluro?

If you are using a mono on a spinning reel, its quite possibly that's why it keeps getting tangled because they tend to have memory on them (some).

Depending on what you are fishing for will also depend on the setup you are looking to get. If you think you are going to stick with Bass, Panfish you can go with a medium setup....trout would be more of a light setup. Anything else I would go with a heavy setup.

Right now I am running 3 rods.

Spinning Shimano Reel - MH rod, 30lb Braided Line, with 20lb Flurocarbon
Spinning Shimano Reel - H rod, 50lb Braided Line, with 30lb Flurocarbon
Abu Garcia Baitcaster - MH rod, 40lb Braided Line, with 20 lb Flurocarbon

It might sound more complicated than you think, but it's really not. Just be careful because if you are going into the river you don't want to end up breaking your line and losing a nice catch because you were prepared for something else. That's definitely happened to me.

For "larger" fish like you stated, I would try to find a decent combo that's a heavy combo, with at least 30-40lb test line. Dick's usually has some decent deals with mail in rebates. If you get some braided line (I use Suffix 832) you might not find tangles and birds nests in your reel. You can cast a mile with it too. Just be sure you get some flurocarbon to tie at the end of it.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one at Dick's, it was about $40, it's the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Classic Spinning Combo.

What could I probably catch with that?
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it this?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11206575

That's a MH setup. If you are going for bass and panfish you should be fine in my opinion. It looks like it's got 14lb test mono line on there. You could do a handful of fishing. If you feel that you are going to be in an area where there are some lunkers or "larger fish" adjust your drag on the reel.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was that rod.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great choice. An Ugly Stik rod will last you forever. Most guys I know keep at least one around, even when they go on to buy more expensive rods.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
That was a great choice. An Ugly Stik rod will last you forever. Most guys I know keep at least one around, even when they go on to buy more expensive rods.

^ This - Ugly Stik rods just WORK. It has to be the best value you can get for a cheap price.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Ugly sticks also but must say when you get into the bigger poles for surf they arent that great. Thats when it start to become much more important to buy a good rod. I snapped a 9' Ugly stick the other day on a snag in the river so dont believe all the unbreakable hype! I wasnt even horsing it much when it happened. I have 3 more so not worried and my next rod will be a ST Croix, Tica, or Lami Glass.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Red Shark

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find that one exactly when I went to Dick's today. But I found another one for about $35 which was somewhat similar. It's a 2 piece medium rod, 6' with 8 lb clear Stren line and has a clear tip design.

The guy working there told me that it is very good.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fond of two piece rods. I have more than one, but the sections sometimes twist or, even worse, the top sections sometimes fly off when I cast. Shocked If you've ever used a two piece rod, don't even try to pretend that it hasn't happened to you, too! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I'm not fond of two piece rods. I have more than one, but the sections sometimes twist or, even worse, the top sections sometimes fly off when I cast. Shocked If you've ever used a two piece rod, don't even try to pretend that it hasn't happened to you, too! Laughing

Yea I've seen some twisting happen when I used a friend's rod the other day. But I shall see how this rod performs at the river tomorrow. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: