CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Question on using leader line...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Question on using leader line... Reply with quote

This is the first season I've heard about anglers using leader line (most likely because I've never fished as much as I have so far this season). What exactly are the benefits of using it and how exactly do you tie it on? I really want to give this a shot. Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use leaders, I use them for a few different reasons.

For toothy fish that can bite through my main line. I use a wire leader for bluefish as they arent very picky about presentation.

I use a heavy mono leader for stripers, I think this is more for shock absorption than fear of the fish biting through the line. Sometimes you want a little give to the line.

Also, if you are using braided line and you get snagged the leader will snap before the braid so you dont lose ALL your terminal tackle along with your lure if you have to break the line. This technique is good for heavy cover and rocky bottoms.

If the fish are easily spooked, a leader made from flouro or mono will be less visible than braid. I dont use a leader much for this reason as I usually fish for bass and they dont seem to mind.

Different lines have different buoyancies. Some float, some sink. If you are really concerned with the action/presentation of the bait you are using, you might consider how the line will affect that.

It really depends on the species and conditions. Clear water, heavy cover, type of lures etc.

For the most part I dont use one. I like to have minimal links between my line and the fish.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for tying it on, you can either use a swivel and tie an 18" (or whatever length you want) leader of your choosing on to the swivel. Or you can tie directly to the main line using a uni-knot on each end.

I forgot to mention that leaders are also used in carolina rigging to keep the weight from going all the way down to the hook. There are some products out there liek the Carolina Keeper that you can put on your main line so you dont have to tie on a separate leader.

So another reason for a leader is to allow you to have different "sections" for attaching weights, beads etc on different rigs.
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey5string wrote:
When I use leaders, I use them for a few different reasons.

For toothy fish that can bite through my main line. I use a wire leader for bluefish as they arent very picky about presentation.

I use a heavy mono leader for stripers, I think this is more for shock absorption than fear of the fish biting through the line. Sometimes you want a little give to the line.

Also, if you are using braided line and you get snagged the leader will snap before the braid so you dont lose ALL your terminal tackle along with your lure if you have to break the line. This technique is good for heavy cover and rocky bottoms.

If the fish are easily spooked, a leader made from flouro or mono will be less visible than braid. I dont use a leader much for this reason as I usually fish for bass and they dont seem to mind.

Different lines have different buoyancies. Some float, some sink. If you are really concerned with the action/presentation of the bait you are using, you might consider how the line will affect that.

It really depends on the species and conditions. Clear water, heavy cover, type of lures etc.

For the most part I dont use one. I like to have minimal links between my line and the fish.

I mostly fish for Trout and Bass where the bottom has many rocks (mostly streams and small rivers/fast water. So do you just tie the leader onto the swivel that you're using and you're good to go? Interesting. I really want to give it a shot.

Also, do you use the same Lb test with the leader as you have on your reel?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the knot I use for connecting braid to leader. Easier to tie than it looks. Stronger than uni-to-uni; flies through the line guides.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as above with leaders only for Stripers and Bluefish. For Trout I usually use straight 4 lb or 6 lbs test and tie straight to a pre rigged hook or a swivel to pre rigged hook. I rather like to eliminate the swivel but always find myself using the swivel out of laziness of tying knots all the time. I do that mainly because my eye sight is really starting to suck and trying to see 4lb test in most cases is pretty tough.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
This is the knot I use for connecting braid to leader. Easier to tie than it looks. Stronger than uni-to-uni; flies through the line guides.

Thank you. I will definitely try this soon!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to use leader more recently as well. I personally use it for every type of fishing except topwater (sometimes I use it for topwater anyway). I use Flurocarbon tied directly to braid. It may sound stupid but the true reason why I use it is because I am a true believer fish can see braid and I don't want them to get spooked. I tried last year just using the braid and I went skunked for quite a while.

The fluro is great because its pretty much invisible and it has a bit of stretch to it, unlike braid.

If you are fishing for trout or bass, you might not need to over do it...which I have been doing lately. Maybe a 30lb test with a 20lb leader or even lighter to be honest. It's always good to play it safe though if your in the river because you never know what's gonna hit your line.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size trout are you fishing for? I use 4-6 lb Flouro for trout fishing and thats all I ever need but Im not Steelhead fishing, thats a whole other story!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
What size trout are you fishing for? I use 4-6 lb Flouro for trout fishing and thats all I ever need but Im not Steelhead fishing, thats a whole other story!

I don't really fish for a specific size. I would love to catch a monster but I take what I can get with my resources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: