CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Minn Kota Trolling Motor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Minn Kota Trolling Motor Reply with quote

Okay so I was wondering if someone can clarify something for me. What's the true story on a "weedless wedge prop" on Minn Kota Trolling Motors.

I feel as if its just a marketing technique or maybe I am doing something wrong. Sunday I spent more time trying to remove weeds from my motor rather than actually moving. When I have it on 1-4 it barely runs and is so slow. When there are no weeds it obviously works great. Maybe its not powerful enough? Its a 45lb thrust. I am debating on getting a stronger one but don't feel like spending the money considering this is less than a year old.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up deciding to buy a new one, sell this one first.
This way you dont end up having one sit around collecting dust!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve what style prop you got on it ?....my weedless wedge works fairly well but the shaft dose hang a lot of weeds playing with the motor depth might help on the speed and trash collection as well

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weedless wedge that comes with it. I have the edge model motor. I tried playing with the depth and it helped a little. All around the motor and prop it seems to get covered in weeds and slows it down big time.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya thick weeds do slow them down a bit not to mention heat things up and put a heavier load on the battery ...I did by 1 of the after market weed cages it helps in the wrap around the prop issue but cage loads up pretty fast I ended yup throwing it on a hook in the shop not much of a fix incase your thinkin of going that way...only thing i can sugest is file the leading edge of prop sharp like I did to mine and stear arounf the thick stuff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I might need a more powerful one. I have two minn Kota trolling motors that I need to get rid of before I do though!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weedless wedge prop is a very minor upgrade from the stock prop that came with my Endura motor. It cuts through stalkier weeds (pads) better, but it struggles to get through milfoil. The 3 times the wires in my motor got fried, weeds were to blame. A motor upgrade should help, but take it easy in the slop...going from forward to reverse to clear of the prop is a quick way to melt the wires. Easy repair though.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: