CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: anyone having luck with striper lately?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linesider21

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: anyone having luck with striper lately? Reply with quote

Hey Guys! This is my first post on CTFT, I'm Jay..

Was wondering if anyone was having any luck fishing for the striped ones on the CT riv lately. (Between htfd and spfld) I was doing awesome with about 20 schoolies and some NICE smallies landed between the beginning of April and mid April. Then things SORT of slowed down quantity wise, but not size wise. Then from late April up until about 2 weeks ago when the levels and flow went through the roof because of all this rain I landed 3 keepers, (29.5-34") all within a mile stretch and in a 2 week period, with some schoolies mixed in. I fish from shore so the water levels have put a hinderence on getting to my good spots. Was just wondering if anyone has been catching? I just aquired my first boat and I am trying as fast as I can to get it up and running so I can catch em before they're gone. Any info would b appreciated. As for what I was catching on- Jumbo live shiners, white slug-go's, and x-raps.

On a side note my striper fever should be cured after this weekend because I'm heading to Belmar, NJ on a private charter (fingers are crossed for cows!) Wait did I say cured, that will never happen!

Looking forward to any input, and thanks in advance! Tight lines to all... Wink
linesider21

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of a friend just relayed the message that there have been 30-50lb bass caught in the Enfield area, come on 50lb Rolling Eyes? I'm sort of calling BS on anything over 35lb being up this far in the river. But I could totally be wrong. The biggest bass I have proof of was 32lb and caught around Middletown early this month.

What do you guys think? Any proof on anything over 35lb being taken this year?

One thing I also forgot to add in my previous post was LiveTarget blueback herring swimbaits and Sebile Magic Swimmers are also a very very HOT lure for this time! Just trying to help other anglers, and be helped by fellow anglers!

Tight Lines!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that wsy bug I heard a 65 lber was caught up past me.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
linesider21

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody has any other input?

I got out last night with no luck again. I didn't stay as long as I wanted too because the wind got nasty, and the water was absolutely flying! Plus I'm not super familiar with any good places from shore around Enfield. I tried from Thompsonville, went down to the dam on the Suffield side, but the water was hauling @$$, then I moved to Kings Isle launch with the same issue. I'm off of work today and I'm going to give it a solid shot again today/tonight!

Catch & Release

Tight Lines To All!!
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launched with a co-worker on his bass boat in Hartford last week. Fished the coves in that area, nothing on the striper front though. We did mark a few on his fish finder.

What kind of line and tackle are you using when hooking up with these?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7' St.Croix TideMaster med-hvy, fst action 10-20lb w/ a Penn Fierce 4000 and 30lb super slick Power Pro braid. Cool

I got out last night and hooked up to a 30"+ bass on my second cast with a herring swimbait, took a nice jump on me so I lightened up the drag a little Mad , fought it for another 2min and then it took a run back towards me and slack lined me and I lost it. Today the smallmouth bite was fantastic! A buddy and I landed honestly about 20 bass within a 2hr period. Im gonna grab some grub and a nap, and I'll be back on the stripers tonight!

Catch & Release

Tight Lines To All!!
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stripers are being caught at large weight this year and there will be even larger in sound come late june. As of right now the largest are in the charter oak area in Hartford to Portland bridge. We caught a 36" a few days ago in Hartford in chocolate brown water from rain. Plan on going tomorrow night. Will update.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to share what your producing on? I'm pickin up my new 15' bass boat on Friday night and plan to christen it with some striper slime! Also a few friends of mine just nailed a couple 25-30lb bass up in the enfield area late last week,from shore, I believe they were livelining bluegill and eels and also a livetarget blueback herring swimbait.. thanks for the info!

Oh and a pic of the new rig!

Catch & Release

Tight Lines To All!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: