CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Help with new rod/reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesb

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Help with new rod/reel Reply with quote

I just picked up this:

Penn Defiance 25LW 6'6" Combo at Walmart (I can't link it, sorry).

Wanted a bait casting rod/reel so I got this tonight; 6' 6" one piece rod/reel combo. The plan is to fish off a boat when I can, mainly with chucks of bunker. Cast out with a bit of weight and let it sink.

Other times, when I can't get out on the boat, I plan to fish from the Gulf Beach docks or jetty near the harbor entrance.

Being a new fisherman I have some questions.

Can I fish lures (Storm WideEye Swim Shad, rubber eels, etc) using this rod/reel combo? I know techniques differ so I won't ask about that. I normally plan to use chucks of bait, but would like to be able to toss a lure now and then too to mix it up. I can't imagine I can't pull a lure with this setup...

Any help is appreciated.

I got 30lb Berkley Triline to spool on. Looking to mainly go for stripers/blues.
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the one you mean?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Defiance-25LW-6-6-Combo/16652824

You can definitely cast lures with a level wind/conventional reel, but your casting and retrieval methods will be a bit different from a spin caster. First, you'll want to toy around with the cast control mechanism on the right side of the reel. If it's too loose, you'll get bird nests every cast; too tight, you'll lose a lot of cast distance. Second, when you cast, be sure to keep your thumb on the very edge of the spool (not on the line) and stop it right before your bait/lure hits the water. That'll prevent some backlash too. It's a little more complicated and technique-y than a spin caster, but ya gotta love the level winds.

Another thing to remember is to try and always make sure that you reel in your line under pressure. If you reel in slack line, that's a formula for bird nests so be sure to reel in the slack under light finger pressure so the line lays down nice and even on the spool.

Also, there's boatloads of information online for methods of casting a level wind, just do a google search and there will be a plethora of information at your fingertips.

Good luck!
jamesb

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That is the one I have. I've used a bait casting rod/reel a bit with freshwater so I have an understanding of birds nests.

I watched a good video last night explaining setting drag, stopping your line, and setting free spool drag so I have a better understanding of that now.

I plan to throw a small weight in my yard to get a better understanding of controlling the line.
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freshwater baitcasting experience will definitely help a lot. Hope ya catch some keepers!
jamesb

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just spooled up the reel and tossed a few weights on there and went in the back yard. Was casting around 75' and got a few rats nets as well. Definitey need to practice some more. Gotta learn to finesse the spool, I find i'm just jabbing it to stop the line. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: