CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Stripers in the CTR, in a small boat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Stripers in the CTR, in a small boat Reply with quote

Hello all,

So… I’m dying to catch some stripers and/or pike… also dying to take my little bass boat out on some bigger water. I’m thinking the CT River is going to be the only place for me to do this. My boat is only 11 ½ feet long, 5 foot beam, with a 5 hp outboard. I’m also not the most experienced boater out there, but I have all the appropriate gear and I have my boater card etc.

Any suggestions for a slow moving section of the CTR with a launch nearby, hopefully someplace that’s not too busy? I’ve never fished the river before, so I’m not looking for a spot burn just trying to find an access point. It doesn’t need to be a great launch, my boat is small enough that I can push it off the trailer by hand, and it floats in a few inches of water.

Thanks

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a trolling motor? Haddam Meadows and Salmon Cove are both free boat launches. Because of this, Haddam can get jammed up on weekends. During the week, though, it's a great place to launch. Just downriver are a couple of quieter waters where you could easily fish; the old powerplant canal and Salmon Cove. Take a look at a map. Just make sure that you won't have to head back upriver against the outgoing tide or a strong north wind! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips as always - I will scope it out on google maps! I think this will be worth taking a week day off for to avoid the crowds. Any idea how fast the water is usually moving during a strong outgoing tide, just in case? The only experience I have with tides in a channel are watching the current rip through the cape cod canal – hopefully it’s nothing like that! I’m going to take my girlfriend and her iphone out in the boat sometime soon, to see how fast it will actually go.

I do have an olddd trolling motor that my grandfather gave me (phleuger brand - all metal, even the prop), but I need to pick up a new battery for it. The one he gave me was almost dry, I refilled with distilled water and cycled it a couple times but it still barely holds a charge Sad. Do you recommend trolling anything in particular? I’ve heard about trolling the “tube and worm” for stripers, but I’ll need to put some rod holders in.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with striper fishing is extremely limited. I'd throw big plugs or swimbaits. At the very least, you'd hook into some northern pike.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said if your not the most experienced boater then id say get your boat on some smaller lakes for more experience before hitting the river. The river is not to be played with especially if your venturing north of Hartford. The river can be a fantastic fishery. Striper running is on the tail end now so if your going to go out, be carefull, pay close attention to your depth under power and while drifting. Sluggos, big plugs and swimmers will all do the trick.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try fishing the coves first, wethersfield, keeney
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 wrote:
try fishing the coves first, wethersfield, keeney

For those coves is there direct access from the road or a launch. I have a 12' boat as well and have been thinking of hitting those coves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: