CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Dragonfly Lure?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Dragonfly Lure? Reply with quote

I saw a BIG bass smash a dragonfly topwater today. I have never really though about them as bass forage. I searched and saw that there are dragonfly surface lures made. Anyone use them? Have a favorite?
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post spawn largemouths get very active with dragonflies in the summer months. I once asked the same question about dragonfly lures and found out they work well when hardly any other topwater is working.
hoppy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a buddy of mine has a nice few acre pond behind his house. The pond edges are surrounded by atleist 15' of this brush stuff that groes out of the water. The place is loaded with dragonfly's and on any summer night you can watch the bass jump clear out of the water to get them. Bass eat dragonflys for sure. sadly the pond is filed with stunted bass but you can go there on most days and catch as many 11"ers as you can stand.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking about making one.

Im sure I could modify an existing lure with some stuff from the craft store.

or I could order one. I am getting a banner ad as I am typing this for "Uncle Bucks Dragon Fly Soft Bait". How does it know I am looking into.....

shhhhhhh.

they're listening.....
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River2Sea makes a dragonfly bait, I believe I seen them for sale at Newtown bait and tackle
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. Is that a good store? I'm looking for a place with a big selection of bass tackle closer to West Haven than Cabela's
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to just about every bait shop in CT, and Newtown bait and tackle looks small when you get in but this place is packed with the best selection of Bass specific baits I have seen around here. The walls are especially full of lucky craft and keitech lures.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A place I'd recommend closer to West Haven is TC's Marine on River Rd in Shelton. Places closer to the shore in Milford and Stratford have more saltwater stuff. Newtown Bait & Tackle does have lots of freshwater gear.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

I am really starting to consider getting into making lures. Not sure if I want to start with plugs or soft plastics.

Plugs seem like theyd be easier to get started. I bet I could carve up something that would catch a bluefish if I threw it in the middle of a school! ; )
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got me thinking! i have used many dragon fly imitations on the fly rod WORKED GREAT for bass - but to be honest i never thought of them as a hard bait! i did some surfing and found these! THEY LOOKED SUPER - especially because i like jitterbug fishing! THEY ARE pricey BUT maybe they could give you some ideas on your venture into making one! -- HEY when you do make an extra -- i will pay you for your time and materials!

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewriver2seadragonfly.html
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one does look nice.

I dont make lures but I am thinking of getting into it. I might buy a kit and see what I can do. I am artistic and do graphic design and fine art work and have drawn a few ideas for lures. I can just make the bodies from wood, foam, whatever....then make a mold and create a resin version.

I came across the site makelure.com and they have hard & soft bait kits. Found this photo is the user creations photo section...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: