CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Silly question on spawning...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Silly question on spawning... Reply with quote

I know this might be a dumb question but I'm still learning. How do you know when fish are spawning? I can't find anything when searching google. Also, what is bad about them spawning? Does that mean they lose their appetite and don't go after anything when you're fishing? I hear a lot of people talking about it and have no clue how it affects fishing. Thanks to anyone that can explain it to me in layman terms .

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what species do you mostly target? As a bass fisherman I can tell you that weather, water temp and even the moon phase can all play rolls in when certain fish will actually spawn. The spawn for bass usually consists of the smaller male and a larger female. Often the male will make the bed, female will move in after. Yes they can be caught when they are on beds. not all fish spawn at the same time.....some come in waves. The bass spawn should just be rapping up...then comes post spawn conditions when the fishing can be kinda tough until the are in the summer patterns. If you have a specific species say pike your interested in im certain there are a number of books or articles about this outhere. goodluck!
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
what species do you mostly target? As a bass fisherman I can tell you that weather, water temp and even the moon phase can all play rolls in when certain fish will actually spawn. The spawn for bass usually consists of the smaller male and a larger female. Often the male will make the bed, female will move in after. Yes they can be caught when they are on beds. not all fish spawn at the same time.....some come in waves. The bass spawn should just be rapping up...then comes post spawn conditions when the fishing can be kinda tough until the are in the summer patterns. If you have a specific species say pike your interested in im certain there are a number of books or articles about this outhere. goodluck!

I mostly target Trout and Bass. I really want to learn about spawning and how you know spawning is occuring. It seems very interesting and will definitely help me get a better idea of fishing and possibly avoiding the skunk.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well really you can plan on the spawn happening during the month of may in most areas around here but again an unusually warm spring like this year can have them going early. Best way to do a quick check while on the water.......look for beds and see whats going on. Right now i would say the spawn is coming to a wrap. As for trout...........cant help you there.
SmOoTh OpErAtOr !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah dude wallmart has some pretty good books on fishing check it out or even amazon i can't even count how many books and ebooks i have on fishing !!! nothing beats the info in a book !! their worth every penny and there probably the only books I've ever read from cover to back . i usually choose a couple of techniques a year from a couple of books and fish them hard till i get them down then i move on !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbows spawn in the late spring early summer when the water temp starts to rise, Brooks and Browns spawn in the Fall around September to November when the water is cooling.
Trout will eat during spawning periods but less frequently, and will be less apt to waste a lot of energy in the pursuit of food. Of the three important factors in a trouts life(or really any fish for that matter) self preservation,sustainance, and reproduction, the first two will take a back seat when it is time to reproduce.
In some cases trout will put themselves within the capable grasp of predators in the pursuit of spawning, when in any other situation they would hide.While their motabalism slows it does not completely shut off, so they will eat but not focus on it.They are already spending enough energy as it is worrying about reproducing that they will try to conserve it by other means, like not chasing after food. This makes it neccesary to put the bait,fly ect... right in front of them. Egg pattern are effective during this period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: