CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Good Flouro?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Good Flouro? Reply with quote

Just spolled 2 spinning rods with berkley vanish. I put the line on correctly and it twists, coils and is a real pain in the ass. Should I be seeing coils on new line? Is there any low memory/low twist flouro available?

This stuff isnt cheap and I hate to throw the $ down for 4 or 5 brands before I find one that is OK.

I really like power pro. I am considering just spooling everything with that and using leaders for my finesse stuff. I cant stand "memory coils" in my line and braid doesnt do that!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some berkley vanish and didn't have any luck with it at all. I switched to the Berkley Trilene 100% fluoro and haven't had any problems since.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

I just started using the new Berkley Nano-Fil line this year.
Stuff handles really nice and slick as heck.
I kid you not -> I get almost 3x more distance then with the old Fireline.
But it is costs $20.00 for 150 yd. spool.

SeaDog1
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 - Trilene 100% fluro, P-Line, and Yo-Zuri all for which I use as leader. As for which works the best I would also say the Trilene. It doesn't annoy me as much as the others lol. The only problem I had with it is I couldn't get it higher than 25lb test which is not enough for me. I have it in 17lb right now as leader for my lighter setup. If you are going to spool it up and use it regularly, I think you won't have as many "memory" problems with it as you have had. It's good line for sure.

On a side note - last year when I switched to braid most of my issues with line were solved. It's worth every penny to me, and I back spool it with mono to save money and line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braid all the way baby. I can't stand memory coils, especially on a crowded pier and you try to send out a mighty cast and a coil catches the bail and your bait flies 10 feet into the ground and all the old salts just look at you and shake their heads.....

oh the embarassment....

the only downsides I've found for braided line are:
-more expensive
-no stretch
-much easier to burn your fingers

other than that, it's all <3
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluoro gets too springy for spinning reels over 12 or 15 pound test, but I've used 12 and 15 pound P-Line Fluoroclear on my spinning reels with no issues. It's the only line I use for throwing little lures, like 1/16 ounce jigs. I spooled eight pound test Fluoroclear on my daughter's spinning reel trout setup. Unlike braided line, it sinks.
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only fish 100% fluorocarbon ranging 4lb-30lb test. Here's what I do and it works great:

If you are in a boat, remove terminal tackle and let the line out behind the boat while moving at idle speed. After letting most of the line on your reel out behind the boat, drag it for a minute or so then reel it in slowly. It will be straight with no twists when you reel it in. Make sure it is spooled tightly on your reel by keeping tension on the line as you reel in.
On the bank, find a clear place you can let your line out on the ground and not get it tangled. Prop the rod up and walk the end of the line with no terminal tackle on it out as far as it will go. Return to the rod and reel and slowly retreive your line. Hold it tightly between thumb and forefinger of your free hand to make it untwist and to spool it tightly as you reel it in.
If the line is badly twisted, tie a good ball swivel to the end of your line. Attach the swivel to a tree branch and walk away, letting line out as you walk. When it is all off the spool, pull against the branch and keep tension on the line, letting it untwist with the swivel. Slowly reel and walk toward the swivel end to respool the line, keeping it tight as you walk.
If you are fishing in flowing water like a steam or river, remove terminal tackle and let the current pull the line off your reel. Let enough line out to get past the twisted part. Let it drag in the current for a couple of minutes and then reel it in slowly, making sure it is tight on the spool by pinching it between your thumb and forefinger as you reel it in. Make sure there is nothing in the water downstream to snag or tangle your line.
One thing MUST be added to your article. NEVER, NEVER let all the line out without holding on to it near the end that is on the reel.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: