CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Minimalist Bass Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Minimalist Bass Fishing Reply with quote

well.....minimalist for a bass fisherman.

What do you guys bring when you go fishing as far as rod/reel/lure combos?

I bring 4 rods now 2 casting and 2 spinning. One casting for jigs, one for t-rigged worms. One spinning for wacky rigs and one for drop shot.

I almost never drop shot, I get too impatient and never give it enough time. I suppose I could eliminate that rod or start DS more...

Most times I am fishing weeds so I am jigging, throwing larger t-rigged worms and finally wacky senkos. when I get bit but miss the fish I will throw the senko (weeds permitting) and sometimes I can pick em up with that. Not to mention the 4 or 5 bags of assorted plastics. I am usually on shore or in a small aluminum boat with a transom mount trolling motor I have to control. Things get messy quickly.

I would love to be able to take the least possible while still making it easy to change baits without retying.

What would you bring if you could only take 2 rod/reels and 1 plano tray of lures?

What terminal tackle?

One of these days I am only going to take 1 lure/rechnique (jigs./drop shot). I always try to do that but right before I leave I say "let me grab a spinnerbait just in case....and a topwater....and a crankbait...." Laughing ..
mikey5string

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll go.

I could fish all day with soft plastics and assorted hooks/sinkers. (1-2/0 DS hooks, 3-5/0 EWG worm hooks and 1/8-1/2 oz sinkers (bullet and DS)

1. Roboworm 4" & 6" Aaron's Magic
2. Green Pumpkin/Watermelon Yamasenkos
3. Trigger-X 9" Ha,,er Worm Grn Pumpkin
4. Green Pump Sweet Beaver
5. Zoom Superfluke Pearl White

and a few toothpicks.

There isnt a situation you couldnt cover with soft plastics and the right terminal tackle.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 rods and about 1000 lbs of boat takle and lunch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at 2 rods/reels. One baitcaster that I just picked up at the sports authority sale and I'm still learning to use. I've got it on my second spinning rod, still need to pick up a special baitcasting rod. I've been mainly throwing topwaters on this as I get used to how it works, seems less likely I'll snag and lose my tackle. The other pole is a little ugly stick that makes a 4 lber feel like a giant. Usually keep that set up for the wacky senkos. 3rd reel stays in the trunk cause there's no pole for it to sit on.

Just the other day when I was sick from work I reorganized my tackle box and got the 2 boxes I was lugging around down to 1.

Aside from that, I always try to bring a litter of water with me. Especially the last few days with this damn heat wave.

It probably pales in comparison to what you guys all have, but that's all of my gear right there.
hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two rods................a spnning rod for DS and a baitcaster geared for soft plastics. Box full of brushogs and worms.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bring two spinning setups, one spooled with 50 pound test Power Pro braided line and the other spooled with 12 pound test P-Line Floroclear line. I always being scissors and a small hemostat. For tackle, I bring tungsten bullet and drop shot weights, Gamakatsu Number Four Octopus Circle and 4/0 EWG (aka Extra Wide Gap) Offset Shank Worm hooks, 1/16 ounce round and 1/8 ounce shakeyhead jigheads, and O-rings. For lures, I bring five inch Senkos, Zoom Horny Toads, Strike King KVD Caffeine Shads, two and four inch curlytail grubs, Gulp! Minnows, spinnerbaits and jigs. If I think that I might fish for crappie, I'll bring a stick bobber, too.

Last edited by PECo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Have thought about trying those Gulp Minnows in the small sizes for Crappies!

How have they worked for you?

SeaDog1 " Never Give In ... Never Back Down"
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 1/16 ounce round jighead, 2-1/2 inch Gulp! Minnows work better than curlytail grubs for white perch. In fact, you could catch just about anything with them. I've gotten a 27 inch chain pickerel and a small sunny back to back. I also caught my only Connecticut catfish with one. Stinky works well. Here's a good piece of advice I got from flippy (aka Jim), though: After using Gulp!, wash your hands before your wife begins to wonder where your fingers have been. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Fingers and Wife -> That's Funny ! Laughing

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Forgot -> Don't ever use that catfish paste you get from K-mart.

That stuff will gag a maggot -> Tried it once and ... NEVER AGAIN Exclamation

Smell stay on my hands for 2 days even after scrubing my skin raw1

Whewwwwwww !

SeaDog1
mikey5string

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the gulp smelt from the bag and they worked great. They were VERY soft (softer than a senko) but the fish loved them. I got bass & walleye on em. I decided to go out and but the plastic tub of them and they were MUCH harder (almost like a pencil eraser) and didn't work nearly as well.

funny. that gulp comment. as bad as it might smell, I cant help but find myself mysteriously attracted to it....
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the boat the whole shabang. From shore one rod. Caster/Spinning. Depends on what I want to fish. Lately I've been whacky rigging with good success so I'll bring the Wright McGill Med/Fast 7'8" with a assortment of various worms, bullet weights and hooks to change the pace. Cargo Pants with all the pockets makes life much easier when carrying various tackle on shore. You only have to worry about the one rod. Everything else is stashed in your pants.

If I'm fishing cranks or top water I'll place plastic hook guards on the hooks and carry a half dozen in my pockets.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been able to perfect the minimalist theory, so I shoot for organized. I love this bag. It holds a ton of stuff, is perfect in the canoe and slings over a shoulder for shore fishing. 3 rods on boat. 50# braid, 20 and 12# fluro. Plano boxes have cranks, rubber, spinners, and the 4th is misc big stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: