CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake - 8-17-07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8cas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Winchester Lake - 8-17-07 Reply with quote

My first report!

Only one fish had this past Friday out on Winchester Lake. Was on the water from about 6:30 - 12:30. First time out on Winchester so I slowly went up the west side of the lake from the boat launch. I was in that nice cove there for about a half hour mostly throwing t-rigged senko's with MAYBE one or two bites. I got really frustrated and decided that I should be up at the north end of the lake in the stump fields before it got too late. I fish from a hobie fishing kayak that I picked up last month, so navigating through the stumps was not a problem at all, even with the wind blowing on and off. I got a plenty of bites throwing 5in t-rigged senko's to any stump, but could not land any! I tried throwing a black n blue jig n pig, but did not get any action at all (as a beginner - I know I'm doing something wrong and need some help on how to work a jig) Finally around 10:45 am, I decided to go over to the Northeast corner, where a few houses are under construction along the shore. The water seemed a lot cooler (can't be specific as I don't have a thermometer) My first cast out to one of the few stumps in the northeast corner finally landed my first and only of the day. I was using a t-rigged senko (baby bass is the name of the color I believe) and being aggressive with the action kind of a combination of slow-rolling and swimming it just above the bottom- anyways here's the result:

I'm not the best with the camera - thankfully a fellow angler I had been talking to earlier was willing to take a few pictures for me.

6lbs 5 oz - LMB - The largest fish I have ever caught - even though I only caught one on Friday - this fish made my summer. Up until Friday, I have had very little luck, landing only a few small LMBs, and have been frustrated with my results - but I guess that comes with being a beginner. I'm learning a lot from this site - I'll be posting an update in the new members section with more details and some pics of my tackle and kayak, but it feels good to be actually posting in the report thread. I was worried that I would go the whole summer without anything decent worth reporting
jlaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only going to catch one, that one is sure a beauty. Congrats on a beautiful largemouth.
JESTERJACKSON

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on you big bass. That lake has to have some beasts lurking with all of the stumps.

I am not sure about the stringer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JESTERJACKSON wrote:
Nice job on you big bass. That lake has to have some beasts lurking with all of the stumps.

I am not sure about the stringer

thx... I had to paddle the yak a bit to get to the other guy on the lake to take some pics, but yeah I should have taken that off
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8cas, if you're only going to get one all day then that's the one to catch. Impressive bass for your first report, congrats! Very Happy
T-Val

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Nice Fish Reply with quote

As said before, if your only going to get 1, that's the one you want.
Still waiting for a Winchester hog. Biggest I've ever gotten was about 2 lbs.
Tim
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Winchester Lunker! Thumbs Up
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job man... i have to try some fishing there... it looks nice there with all those stumps.... Did you keep it or release it?

Just one more cast...
n8cas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctfishtalk wrote:
nice job man... i have to try some fishing there... it looks nice there with all those stumps.... Did you keep it or release it?

thx... I released it.
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a hog.that place can be really tough.congrats on that hog.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome bass.

I only caught 2lbs. at the lake..

Great job..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: