CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Posted in Non-fishing section by accident, Earlier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Posted in Non-fishing section by accident, Earlier Reply with quote

Question to all the kayak folks, how many of you have a depth/fish finder and if you do have one how do you feel about it. Is it worth getting one and how well does it work. What one do you own and do you use it to mark fish or just find structure and depth.

I fish lots if lakes and would like to fish more then structure around the edged and need to know should I invest in a fish finder.

The second question is like the first but has to do with anchors/drift socks and stake out poles. Who owns what and how do you like it and what would you suggest need to get something sick of drifting into spots when there is a slight wind. Thanks for your help

Mase
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your first report btw in the lake section. I like Crystal Lake, it can be tough for parking though (7 spots I think). I don't know much about the yak depth find thing, but as for a drift sock I do have one of those and use it on my boat. It is very helpful in high wind situations. I just tie it to a cleat on my boat and face it so the wind blows into it. Slows me down 5-10 mph. I'm not sure on a yak thou, but overall it's a good investment. I hate fishing in the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure we all hate the wind Steve!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hummingbird 190c for my inflatable kayak. It is inflatable so I have to make a brace and an arm for the transducer ( I got what I need from Home Depot). So far I love it so much. You can see the depth and water temp directly, though Im still learning how to read the bottom and structure. (I hope someone who has more experience can help)

I don't know how accurate the fishing finding is, but I've caught fish withing it showing on the screen, and also got nothing when I could see fish on the screen. So I have my doubts about fish finding. But I like finding fish myself anyway so it doesnt matter much.
Zach0208

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I do have a small folded anchor with 20 feet nilon line. It is the smallest anchor I can find in Dicks and I think it works perfect for my small kayak (less than ten bucks). You will miss it so much when there is wind.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my fish finder to find the water temperature, depth, structure and cover. I rarely target fish that it marks. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I've caught only a couple of fish that it marked while trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Phil how much do you rely on it to help you know where to fish this time of year.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm trolling, I use it to stay on the outside weedline. It helps a lot in unfamiliar or murky water, too. The last time that I was on Squantz Pond, I was trolling a couple of Rapalas about six feet down up the west shore. When I saw that the depth was over 20 feet and marked some fish near that depth, I knew that I had to head across the pond to the east shore, where I could troll in shallower water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
When I'm trolling, I use it to stay on the outside weedline. It helps a lot in unfamiliar or murky water, too. The last time that I was on Squantz Pond, I was trolling a couple of Rapalas about six feet down up the west shore. When I saw that the depth was over 20 feet and marked some fish near that depth, I knew that I had to head across the pond to the east shore, where I could troll in shallower water.

How do u know ur rapala's depth? most lures have a wide depth range, that confuses me, and I got snagged a couple of times Sad
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the depth of the bottom and the tops of the weeds on my fish finder. When my lure fouls up on them, I know how deep it's running.

Rapala prints the running depth on its lure packaging, but I forget the line type, weight and length that's required for it to be accurate. I've read online that Rapala sells a booklet with the details, but I've never seen it. Here's some info from Rapala's website:
Quote:
The Trolls-To-Minnow and the Trolls-To-Shad both come in two sizes and run exactly as designed. Trolls-To size 15 lures run precisely at the 15-foot level by letting out 100 feet of 10-pound-test monofilament line, while the Trolls-To size 20 lures torpedo down to the 20-foot level, allowing anglers to cover a deeper range with the same length of line.

Anglers are able to fine-tune the running depth by simply making slight line length modifications. To significantly alter the running depth of the Trolls-To lures, they can simply switch from monofilament to braided line, allowing the lures to dive as much as 25 percent deeper.
With the lures internal rattle, paired with their realistic swimming action of balsa construction, anglers have a sure thing, especially at trolling speeds of 1 to 2 1/2 mph that enthusiasts know are ideal for catching monster walleyes, pike and even salmon and trout.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds clear to me. If I use a 8lb mono, will it be shallower or deeper?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: