CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Barbless?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Barbless? Reply with quote

Do you guys think barbs are necessary? I am a catch and release guy and barbs really slow down the release part as well as damaging the fish more.

I think that if youve got the fish hooked and keep pressure on the line, the barbs are unnecessary. The only thing that worries me is a basses tendency to jump and shake. This is where it can get some slack and throw the hooks.

Ive just pushed some barbs down so there is still a bump but not a point. I figure this will make it harder for the hook to come out but not grab the fishes flesh when pulled out.

Anyone fish barbless? Notice any big difference in landing ratio?

If I was fishing a tourney and every fish counted I would use barbs but just for fun Im thinking I could go without.
Protect Your Necks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always turn down the barbs when I'm fishing with bait for trout. It is definately much easier to unhook them with no barbs. Also, I don't really seem to have a problem with losing fish when I fish with no barbs.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll try it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it really depends on where you hook the fish. I've hooked fish in spots with barbed hooks where it doesn't matter if the hook is barbed or not. I've landed many and lost some of course. There are definitely spots you can hook a fish where the barbs won't come out. Like into some thick flesh as opposed to the thin membrane in parts of the mouth.

I'm interested to hear of your finding, Phil.
hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbs also prevent baits from coming off the hook easily
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pondered it over the years, but then I get that nice bass boated and look at the barb being the only thing holding it on and say...nope.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part no with single hooks and worms, We fish barbs. But have pinched them to ease getting the hook out. Then continued fishing and really didn't notice that much difference.

I am leary on crankbaits, I haven't pinched any for the fear of loosing fish. Even with barbs, We have them come of on the first leap.

We spend a good amount of time on the water. We've had a lot of hooks in fish and I can count on one hand of the ones that didn't survive. We don't eat much fish. But I found a neighbor that will eat all that we bring him. He'd starve on what we bring home. Even deeply hooked fish can be saved with patience. I've clamped my stats on the barbed end and cut the other with dikes. Work on it for a bit and then aerate them in the livewell. The hooks will roll right out. I have no problem sacrificing a hook to save the fish. Some I just leave the hook in and set em free.

Sorry to be long winded. Embarassed

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Zach0208

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One adantage about barbless.

Barbs keep hooks from losing fish, but also from losing other things--branches, weeds, ropes, nets. Using barbless may cause u some fish, but also will cause less problems.

I still don't have the confidence to use barbless though. Sad
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pinching my barbs in for a couple of years now everytime I buy a new lure... especailly for trout that I may catch. Really hasn't affected my fishing very much. I'd rather lose it than kill it. Not a big deal to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: