CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Mashapaug Pond?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach0208

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Mashapaug Pond? Reply with quote

I want to try Mashapaug Pond sometime, anyone has been there recently and can provide some information?

Also, anyone has met a cute bear there? Laughing
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go a few times here and there

my grandfather caught his personal record bass there ( about 10 lbs ) and ad it mounted back in the day - I think i still have it in the attic somewhere. I should recover it and throw it up on the wall sometime

But yeah - paddling and fishin' The Hash is fun stuff, I think Chud is up that way tomorrow
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man....dig that lunk out of the nostalgia and let us see it. That's classic shit!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I should be there around noon...Mashapaug gets a lot of hikers and swimmers along the shoreline.. I wonder if water levels are lower or normal. Not the best place for fishing from the shore..I've walked around to some coves that seemed to have potential and waded in the water but no luck. Bigelow....just as tough..... I really like it up there, tons of trees for shade it always seems cooler up there. I like the spring water pumps and I always stop at the TSA on the way home for a drink and some beef jerky.

One day I'll get out there on a canoe or something. Bigelow is shallower, has a dirt boat launch and a nice wood deck made for wheelchair accessible fishing. it's not very deep and this time of the year around the boat launch and the shore are some weeds and lilly pads... it's very "teasing".. looks like you'd catch a lot in there, there are the usual suspects, Bass, pickerel,sunny's, trout even walleye.

Mashapaug I believe holds the state record for smallmouth bass. But it is a walleye lake as well. I think a lot of people troll there than cast, there isn't a lot of structure. The launch area is very nice, they changed it so people with trailers can park at the launch instead way back. NIce facilities... well, clean bathroom stations, and like Isaid before, the water pumps for drinking water.

there is another pond up there also...Breakneck pond, you can only walk to it though...it's about a mile....follow the main road and about half way in it's off to the right. Some of the folks from here have trecked there with canoes or kayaks I think and have done well.. also Ice fishing in the winter. I haven't been there yet.. one day I will brave the trail. I don't want to go alone though.. there are Bears...Lions tigers and bears...oh My!!

That's all I got.
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna hike in my inflatable pontoon boat to Breakneck - never fished it and dont even know how to get there but wanna fish it - lemme know when you wanna go chud - maybe we can round up a group and fend of the lions, tigers, and bears together - safety in numbers!

Bigelow is so low you HAVE to be floating out on the water to get to a lot of good spots - fishing from shore has been less than thrilling for the past 3 years there
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxpxtx wrote:
Man....dig that lunk out of the nostalgia and let us see it. That's classic shit!

yeah im going up to my Dad's today to dig it out if I can manage to
Zach0208

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from Mashapaug. The water is incredibly clear and I wish I was a fish there Laughing

As mentioned above, there's little structure though, and the botton is almost barren. I tried trolling the bottom of the deepest water with three-way , got nothing.

Later I worked several small coves with spinnerbait. I got two bass, one is 12", and the other is my first three pounder--17"!!! That is enough to make my day.

I trolled a rapala F-12 yellow perch on my way back, got a few yellow perch......I believe yellow perch really love yellow perch.....I should troll a bass next time. Rolling Eyes Cool
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there twice today, went back again tonight... around 8:30 ish.. I was fishing on the cement boat dock.. a boat came in and a DEEP truck came to the launch lights on... .one guy was in a uniform the other in khakis and a black shirt... they were going through the guys boat... couldn't tell what was going on... anyway, I ended up catching 4 bass in bigelow! I haven't caught bass in bigelow in a couple of years!! I am posting a seperate post on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: