CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Killed It!!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Killed It!!!! Reply with quote

Opening day, 2012. Epic

Started off slow saturday morning. All my guys met up at my place for breakfast. (2lbs sausage, 2 lbs bacon, 1 1/2 dozen eggs, toast, 5lbs home fries. oh yea, we do it right) Anyways, heaeded out to roaring brook in Glastonbury. between 7 of us, only 5 fish were yanked out. 2 by me, 2 by my other buddy, so you can guess that a few of my guys were a little dissappointed at this point.

Well, we went back to my house to grab gear and grab my girlfriend, then headed out to one of my favorite holes. And it began...

Right off the bat, heather (my girlfriend) couldn't keep the fish off her line. 2 nice rainbows landed around 14-15 inches, then a MONSTER brookie, tipped the tape at 17 3/4 inches. A real fatty too! just under two pounds. So we kept fishin, many more gorgeous 'bows pulled out. A little ways into the afternoon, i had a powerful hit. Set the hook, and the fish took off like a rocket. It was like i was carp fishin, drag zippin all over the place. After a lengthy fight on the ultralight, I landed an 18 1/2 inch brook trout, scaled in at 2lbs 4oz. By far the biggest brookie I've ever landed.

Upon further inspection, I realized the fish had a tag. A 4-digit number on it... Called DEEP about it, and when i mentioned the number, he replied "Oh... I would call Cabela's... they have some kinda contest" Well at that point of course I was excited. Long story short, it was a fish from last year's contest. This year's tags contain a 6-digit number. So that was pretty upsetting.

All in all, we took home 26 fish. Filleted em all. Found out AFTER i filleted the two monster brookies that they were both trophy fish. 2lbs or 17inches... Little upset, but oh well. Always next time.

Went back at it today at Valley Falls in Vernon. Between 3 of us, maybe 20 fish. nothin worth braggin about. I went back to my same glory hole for a bit and hit 3 rainbows off the bat, 2 of which were really nice. After gettin bored with that, we left to try our luck at some carp fishin for about 2 hours in the monsoon of a rainstorm we had. I hit two myself in the upper teens. 5 fish up to twenty pounds between the three of us. Overall, it was a REALLY good weekend of fishin.

I'm a bit lazy as of this moment, but i'll post the pictures soon of the opening day catches.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Elixir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sounds like you had a AWESOME weekend. Tagged fish even if it isnt worth anything is still a fish and huge at that! Way to go and glad you had a awesome time! Hope to see those pictures! Laughing
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabelas should pony up last years prize IMO. Great job! I landed a 18" brookie for a guy in my net last year and man what a fish that was. Dude probably fishes 5 times a year and caught it on a piece of corn. I'm pretty jealous considering my biggest brookie was 9" this weekend. Prettiest fish in freshwater. Glad you had a great opening weekend as well!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been walking the trails at valley falls for a month now... waiting for the season to start up again..it only just ended there at the end of February. I noticed a lot of fish jumping last week, they must have stocked it. It must have been packed this weekend. I avoid that place after memorial day up until labor day. Hard to believe they allow swimming in a place that small. The trails are nice though.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, I agree that Cabelas should at least honor that tag if not dble it!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Seems like a lot of tagged fish coming up around here.

6 digits huh? Hmmmm Wink
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Yeah the same with me. Reply with quote

Im with my dad, fishin as the sun comes up waitin and waitin as each 4 times the fish take my line and drop it as im dozing off, waiting for the fish to really take it. so after all that i caught 8 trout and my dad caught 4 fish, 1 catfish, 3 trout, so we kept 4 fatties, no tags Sad
I was eager at Wharton brook to catch the big 10 pounders
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the pictures I promised.
And btw, it was a typo, we brought home 21 fish, not 26

These are all the fish we brought home. Keep in mind, the 3rd and 4th fish from the right on the top row are 17 3/4 inches and 18 1/2 inches, respectively. Just to give you an idea of the sizes of the rest of the fish

The fish me and the old lady got ourselves

The two monstrous brookies we hit. The picture doesn't do em any justice. I was a little upset with the way all these pictures came out. Last time I dont check em after someone takes em...

After all was said and done and the fish were filleted, we were left with nearly eight pounds of meat!

See that beautiful orange? Gotta love it Very Happy

Elixir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked NIce! Shocked
abe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what could be doe with trophy fish??? because i got a 20 in out of salmon. ate it already but just wondering if i missed something
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothin can really be done with a trophy, except you send the proper photos in with the affadavit form and they send ya a pin and a certificate. kind of a personal accomplishment IMO. add somethin to shoot for when im fishin. and 17inches in only the minimum for brook trout, brown and rainbows are different.

reead up on the trophy fish awards program

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Justin!

She doesn't look very old to me Wink
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!!

Were you fly fishing, trolling in a boat? What were you using?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Justin. I love to cook fish fillet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: