CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: Newbie to Bass Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerskid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Newbie to Bass Fishing Reply with quote

Until i was like 14 or so my Father used to take me and my family up to a small lake in Canada, where there was any where from 3in sun fish to 30in Pike. I always caught the small 2 pound bass or the occasional 3 pounder, and i always wondered how i could catch bigger bass or even a trout would be nice to say i've caught. Any Suggestions? I'm open to just about anything!
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome aboard. Have you been dipping the line in your area? Gotta give us more to work with than that. Read the many posts here and a lot of questions will be answered. Then...fire away in the general topic area, or report your fishing experiences in reports, and ask specific questions related to your trip. Either way....go fishing!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, for the vagueness of that post, i'm still new to this. But i started back up this week. I've been fishing at an old quarry next to old route 8. I've just been using the wacky senko rigging and we haven't been getting anything bigger than 10 to 12 inchers and I know people have pulled out fish much bigger than that and I was wondering what i should try like tackle wise to try and change that. I have a good sized tackle bag that my dad had, that has lots of goodies that i don't know what to do with..

I was also wondering what type of line to use, i use 8lb test, mono, and also should i invest in a higher quality rod? i have a $30 on from wal-mart that bends when i'm fighting a sunfish. Crying or Very sad
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have so many options... are you fishing from shore or a boat? Casual? I personally use and Ugly Stick, I've got 2, one with 6lb mono and one with 12lb mono. I use a shimano spirex1000 and spirex 4000.

I wouldn't spend more than what you are fishing for. If you are a casual shore fisherman, I wouldn't recommend a $100 set up... if you have a canoe or boat then things open up a bit... maybe you can get a little more specific with your needs, a worm/plasit set up, crankbait set up/ spinnerbait set up.... when I get a canoe or something I am going to get a baitcasting set up with some heavier line.

the rest of it is trial and error... pick a lure and try it..that's all. Who knows, you might have what works already.. oh yea.. don't underestimate the power of a fighting sunfish!!! Hail pumpkinseed!!!!!
rangerskid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclusively a shore fisherman, i like to fish for fun but want to get big rewards.
I use a 6ft Shakespeare Mantis with a mantis reel, 8lb mono line.

i don't know what you mean by the various set ups Embarassed like i said im still new to the whole fishing scene, but if it helps at all i took pictures of all my lures and worm and have them in my Gallery. Any insight on them would be great!
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too fish from the shore.... 8lb test is ok for most freshwater fishing adventures from the shore. Just got to get out there... google the type of lures you have and you should get an idea of how they are used. Learn to cast well and accurate and don't be afraid to wade in the water (safely of course) if you can get out away from the shore a little bit. Go back and go through some of the posts made here...that should also be helpful.
Where do you live / Fish?
rangerskid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to read through most of the post on here and a lot of them have some really good information and others don't... guess i should just spend more time on here Laughing . I live in Seymour and fish at the Quarry next to the Ansonia-Shelton-Derby Express way, and the little pond near the high school.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ranger,

Larger bass generally head to deep water during the day in summer. To increase you chances try fishing early morning or just before dark. If you can only fish during the day, Try to find the deeper holes within the body of water. Try texas or carolina rigging your plastics. Cast as far out as you can from shore and let the bait sit or move it very slowly. If you think your moving the bait to fast you probably are. To me a big ole bass just can't resist a big worm stuck in his/her face.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: