CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: First catch of fly rod an reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevius86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: First catch of fly rod an reel Reply with quote

Well I've recently started the art of fly fishing. Today I took my first venture out to a stream in which I kept it local, the Scantic River in East Windsor. Not exactly the nicest or cleanest but not a bad spot to begin a fly fishing obsession. After maybe 5 minutes of casting out an Adams I get a hit but didn't set. I cast back out and let it drift and BAM. The fish hit and the hook was set. I pulled in a small Redbreasted Sunfish. Not the most excited story but I was ecstatic just to catch something on my first out with a fly!

I also received Ron Merly's "Flyfishers Guide to Connecticut" in the mail today and I'm already planning to make a trip to the West Branch of the Farmington
knowfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of flyfishing. My first fly caught fish was a sunfish about 50 years ago. Then I moved to bass on poppers as I grew up on North Farms
reservior in Wallingford and caught a lot of them. Then it was trout and finally stripers and bluefish in the sound. Blues are my favorite . They hit hard and fight hard.. But all aspects of flyfishing are extremely enjoyable. Add flytying and you'll expand the experience.
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any fish on the fly rod is a hoot, Glad you connected. If you head out to the Farmy make sure to stop at upcountry http://www.farmingtonriver.com/ for the latest updates and directions suggestions. Make sure to pick up a copy of the Farmington River guide book. Great book with details of the river, maps and fishing information. http://www.fraa.org/

You can get the CT stocking maps here:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=467456&depNav_GID=1632

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbreasts are the most aggressive of your 3 usual CT sunfish. I've had them hit a Rapala Original Floater on the surface like a largemouth.
Stevius86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Passinthru! I was able to fish two days this weekend and had great success for a beginner. Can't wait to try my luck in the Farmington
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: