CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Senko
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Senko Reply with quote

So, I'm new with this whole fishing thing and I'm a bit confused about Senko. I want to make sure that I'm using it appropriately and not wasting it.

I'm currently shore fishing for LMB using it in conjunction with a size 2/0 offset shank hooks; I haven't even had so much as a nibble. Tried rigging Texas and Wacky styles.

Am I using too big of a hook? Using bait too big for shore fishing? Not patient enough? Just wait it out and it'll eventually happen?
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wacky I use 3/0 octopus circle hooks. You do have to be patient. Also, what type/size worm you using? I usually go with 4" or 5" with 5" being th more popular.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Senko Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I'm currently shore fishing for LMB using it in conjunction with a size 2/0 offset shank hooks; I haven't even had so much as a nibble.

SAP284 wrote:
For wacky I use 3/0 octopus circle hooks.

Wow! Those are some BIG hooks. Try a Gamakatsu Number 4 Octopus Circle Hook and an O-ring. Here's a short I caught with that rig in the evening on Saturday:

Like most of the fish that I catch with a wacky rigged Senko, it was hooked in the corner of the mouth. Yes, I get the occasional gut hooked fish, but only when I'm not paying enough attention to gently set the hook immediately after the fish picks up the Senko. That's why I always bring hemostats with me. If you can't find O-rings, I've read that small zip ties work well, too.

As far as HOW to fish a Senko, cast it to clear water on the edges of cover or structure and let it fall to the bottom as vertically as possible. That requires slack line. I prefer to use braided line because it floats and sits flat on the surface of the water. If you watch your line, you'll know that the Senko has hit the bottom when it stops moving away from you. You'll know when a fish has picked up the Senko when the line "shivers" on the surface of the water. Reel in any slack, gently set the hook and land the fish. If you don't get a bite within a few seconds after the Senko hits the bottom, gently twitch it up and let it fall back to the bottom. It really works, even on finicky fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and nice fish.

I've been using 5" Yamamoto Senkos with braided line (see signature for my bass setup; yeah, I'm probably using too high of a test too). Do the bass ever hit the Senko hard or is it always the shiver?

Anyway, I'll give these techniques a try and report back.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do what peco says, watch the slack line and if its faster than it usually is sinking then youve most likely got a fish. I also would use polarized glasses if youre fishing shallower like 2-6 feet deep. Its just another way to find the fish!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought polarized glass last week and accidentally let it fall into the lake the first time I use it....I even had no chance to see its effect.....should get another soon...
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a leash too. I think thats what they are called. They slide onto the sides of your glasses and go behind your head so when the sunglasses fall off your face they will be secured by the leash. They are basically a necklace that holds onto your sunglasses. They do look kinda funny but you wouldnt believe how many times ive jumped in to save expensive sunglasses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I've been using 5" Yamamoto Senkos with braided line (see signature for my bass setup; yeah, I'm probably using too high of a test too).

No, your 10 pound test braided line is fine. I actually prefer to use 50 pound test Power Pro braided line because it's a great all purpose line. I can tie on a soft plastic frog and set the hook all day long without any failures of the line. DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) thinks that the 15 pound test P-Line Fluoroclear line I was using when we fished together at Winchester Lake was more effective than the braided line he was using (we were both throwing wacky Senkos), but I'm not convinced of that. I've never seen a difference in the hookup rate with either line. I just happened to have a spinnerbait tied on my braided line setup, so I used my fluoro setup for the wacky rig. When I finally hooked a keeper with it, I really wished that I had used the braided line setup, instead.

I also used to use small Pflueger President spinning reels, but had too many bail failures. I've switched to Shimano reels and have had fewer problems. I think that the Sahara reels are a good value and really like the Stradic reels, too.

Fish will often hit a wacky rigged Senko as soon as it hits the water or on the fall. You'll see a change in the rate that your line is moving across the surface of the water. Just give the line a gentle pull if you think that a fish has hit the Senko. If it doesn't pull back, let the Senko continue to fall to the bottom.

The most important thing is to fish a wacky Senko s - l - o - w - l - y. Most fishermen I see don't have the patience for it, right Kira Wink , but it works when done right. Heck, it also works when done wrong, although not as well. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, PECo. Interesting to know about using high test line.

Anyway, I bought the Pflueger since it felt like butter on display at Cabela's; I got such a great deal on the President on my bass rod that I couldn't turn it down. No issues with it yet.

I'll probably look into some Shimano's when I get a salt water rod. My buddy swears (MattyK182) on the Shimano Sienna which is a nice reel for the price.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre not catching fish with the senko try something else. No sense forcing a bait on them. I havent used a senko in months and I havent been skunked once in all my trips.

The senko is a great bait and does produce but if youre not getting bit with it try something else. It could be WHERE youre fishing. If youre not throwing it in the right places, you wont get bit.

You mention that youre new to fishing. I would read up on the LMB. Learn about its habitat, diet, spawning, watch youtube videos, read about different techniques, talk to people.....

Youre set up is fine. I would work on technique and not more gear.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikey.

I've been typically throwing into and around cover and lilies with deep baits and crankbaits. I've tried Branford Supply Ponds, Baldwins Pond in Meriden and Batterson Park.

I'm definitely going to be watching more videos and doing some more reading up. I was also considering doing the guided tour of Lake Saltonstall to learn in a more first hand way of going after LMB.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take you out on lake saltonstall one day this summer and show you what I know. I have been doing pretty well there this year.

One rule: no senkos! ; )
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure; I've got to get the RWA pass. I've got some time off coming up soon from work.

Also, caught my first LMB today without Senko (hit a nightcrawler while pan fishing).
Aroz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size o-ring fits over the GY senko's? I generally use 4", but also use 5" (not sure if the length of them varies).
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aroz wrote:
what size o-ring fits over the GY senko's? I generally use 4", but also use 5" (not sure if the length of them varies).

I'm not sure of the size, but both Cabela's and Dick's sell a Wacky Tool that comes with the right size O-rings and both also sell replacement O-rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: