CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Where are the big smallies in McDonough?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Where are the big smallies in McDonough? Reply with quote

Heading to McD, tomorrow(weather permitting) on the hunt for smallies. Just looking for what water depth they might be in? We fished the 15 to 20 foot depth humps the last time out and only found a couple of 2 pounders. And they were in rocky area's. We didn't get many bites once we found weeds on the bottom.

I know its not just water temp that drives em deep, Water oxygen content is also effecting them. So I guess we'll head to deep rocky points. Maybe 30 feet plus with drop-shots. While we are there, Might even try Carolina rigging the deep weed area's. Maybe score a few LMB's.

The recent rains may have changed things since the last time we were out, Should I start shallow or just go straight to deeper(20+) water?

The more I fish the deep water the more I want the side/down imaging sonar, should take a lot of the guess work out of whats down there!

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a tourney up there last sunday reports I got from the locals when I was up there this week was most of the fish where caught east bank 20ft water from the launch to the lower dam said they where all lined up along there . I dont have any electronics in my boat so I couldnt tell ya for sure im fishing from instinct .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY, I'll post a report if we get a few good ones.

hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think the bucket bergade has anything to do with it? i know ive seen the same guy there twice last year anchor up with live bait and load ten nice smallies into a bucket for him and his wife. Just imagine if this guy did that twice a week. 20 smallies a week. times that by ten other guys and your talking 200 smallies a week hitting the dinner table. Shocked I think the only saving grace for that place is that it closes for 4 or 5 months a year.
ive been there once and since they werent in any of the spots i usually find them id say GO DEEP. ever been to lake george? If not then believe me when i say a smallie can and will hangout in 30'to 60' of water. for that matter largies will to. we spent two days on LG fishing a spot the size of a football field in 30' and killed the largemouth. did you make it up to Mcdonought this past sunday?
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried east and west about half way to the dam. The morning was pretty much a washout. Rained so hard the bilge pump got a workout. My son got one on top water, just a lil guy. I got one lil' LMB with a deep crank fishin the hump near the launch. Dropshots only got bluegil nibbles! Fished for brown fish till noon and Then headed to the grass flat near the island. Rained again just after lunch and the bite was on, We pulled a few largies but nothing to dance about. Deep cranks got most of the action. Missed a pig LMB just before we headed home around 6PM. The only fish worth a picture came off right at the boat. Embarassed

Ever since we got the new scale, We haven't boated one much over 2 pounds. I'm gonna leave it home next trip! Still better than going to work, But not one of our better days. My son and I had fun though. Had a nice lunch on the water the wife packed for us. We saw an Eagle and an Osprey. A redtailed hawk do a dive and catch a fish. No skunk in the boat is always good! Cool

We'll try again next weekend if I don't have to work!

hoppy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the fishing isnt good the scenery always is and thats part of what draws me back. Id give a middle toe to spend a few days on the upper lake. Thas where the big smallies are! Shocked
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
if the fishing isnt good the scenery always is and thats part of what draws me back. Id give a middle toe to spend a few days on the upper lake. Thas where the big smallies are! Shocked

Yours or someone else's? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
if the fishing isnt good the scenery always is and thats part of what draws me back.

One of the nicest lakes in the area. We've had some slow days, But we always seem to catch something. The smallies just seem to elude us! We'll figure them out sooner or later! The thrill of the chase is almost as fun as the catching. Wink

hoppy wrote:
Id give a middle toe to spend a few days on the upper lake. Thas where the big smallies are! Shocked

I'm love to see what comes out of there. I'd like to see them open it up for one weekend. Wanna bet we see some CT records get broken? Cool

PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjbassfishn wrote:
hoppy wrote:
Id give a middle toe to spend a few days on the upper lake. Thas where the big smallies are! Shocked

I'm love to see what comes out of there. I'd like to see them open it up for one weekend. Wanna bet we see some CT records get broken? Cool

That's what I think about Nepaug Reservoir every time I drive by it on Route 202. They should have a raffle or lottery, or sell a limited number of passes for a large amount of money.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
jjbassfishn wrote:
hoppy wrote:

That's what I think about Nepaug Reservoir every time I drive by it on Route 202. They should have a raffle or lottery, or sell a limited number of passes for a large amount of money.

I see no issue with a yak or small boat(electric only). No lead and artificial only lures. Fisher person's drilled in cleanliness and pollutants(or lack there of!). What would be the harm??

Heck the 2 and 4 stroke motors of today are so clean they should also be allowed. The water is filtered before use and with all the acid ran, These Reservoir probably have just as much in them as the lakes currently open to the public.

We're heading to McD. tomorrow to give the smallies on last stab. Just maybe this time? Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: