CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Hayward rules?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Lake Hayward rules? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there is a law stating your gas motor needs to be raised out of the water at Lake Hayward in Colechester? I can't find it in writing on the DEP website or anywhere else.

I frequent lake Hayward with my bass boat. Every single time I go out someone yells at me to trim my gas motor out of the water.
I understand it's electric motors only but I can't find any laws in writing to back up this so called rule residents use to harass boaters. I know serveral land owners on that lake and they never heard of it.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Call DEEP.
Better to be sure then get fined !

If the water is electric only -> I pretty sure you can't have your gas motor in the down position with prop in the water!

On some lakes such as West Hill -> any motor over 8 hp. has to have its prop removed ! (Posted at lake).

SeaDog1
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lake Hayward rules? Reply with quote

DRA wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a law stating your gas motor needs to be raised out of the water at Lake Hayward in Colechester? I can't find it in writing on the DEP website or anywhere else.

I frequent lake Hayward with my bass boat. Every single time I go out someone yells at me to trim my gas motor out of the water.
I understand it's electric motors only but I can't find any laws in writing to back up this so called rule residents use to harass boaters. I know serveral land owners on that lake and they never heard of it.

If the DEP catches you they can very well fine you. They have been getting strict with that lately. The problem is that although you aren't going to use it, with the motor down the "assumption" is that you are. This year I actually talked to someone from DEP about tho rules regarding gas motors and many have said that some are getting even more strict by making those with gas motors remove their prop. People used to just remove the gas line or cover the prop, but if you catch a DEP guy on the wrong day it may not cut it. Trust me, I have a gas motored bass boat and I understand your frustration. If its not on, it's not on...but the state has their own viewpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is long reply, so I'll tell you up front that the residents of the lake are right. Probably. Wink Under the regulations, there are very subtle distinctions between "horsepower or size of engine restrictions", "internal combustion engine prohibitions" and "use of internal combustion engine prohibitions".

Here's a question for you DRA: Is it really too much to ask for you to raise your engine out of the water when you're on Lake Hayward? Rolling Eyes

Page 66 of the 2012 Connecticut Boater's guide states, in pertinent part:
Quote:
Lake Hayward (Shaw Lake) — East Haddam, 172 acres.
Regulations: Use of internal combustion engines prohibited. Launch: Rte. 11, Exit 6, west on Lake Hayward Rd., left onto East Shore Drive. Launch is on the right. Parking: 5 cars.

And page 58 of the 2012 Connecticut Boater's Guide states, in pertinent part:
Quote:
LAKES, PONDS AND INLAND STREAMS
NOTE: On inland bodies of water on which the horsepower or size of engine is restricted, the propeller must be removed from a non-complying engine and the outboard motor or lower unit must be tipped up to demonstrate that the propeller has been removed.

Here's an email exchange that I had with Bill Foreman of the DEEP earlier this year about engine restrictions and prohibitions:
Quote:
To: "philip co"
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:54:01 PM
Subject: RE: Clarification Needed

Phil,

Sorry for the delay in responding. As you have realized there are a number of permutations to restrictions on motors/use of motors/boats with motors, and they all mean something different. “Use of internal combustion engines prohibited” means that you can’t use a gas powered motor but you can have one on/in the boat. Horsepower limits are motor size limits (see below). Then there are prohibitions on boats with any type of motor. I’ve put some responses to your questions in the text of your email below.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Foreman
860-424-3868
DEEP Inland Fisheries Division
William Foreman

Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 8:37 AM
To: Foreman, William
Subject: Clarification Needed

Bill

I'm confused about the regulations regarding use of internal combustion engines on inland bodies of water. More specifically, what is required on water where "Use of internal combustion engines prohibited." (e.g., Batterson Park Pond)? Page 58 of the 2012 Connecticut Boater's Guide states, in pertinent part:
Quote:
LAKES, PONDS AND INLAND STREAMS
NOTE: On inland bodies of water on which the horsepower or size of engine is restricted, the propeller must be removed from a non-complying engine and the outboard motor or lower unit must be tipped up to demonstrate that the propeller has been removed. (Emphasis added.)

An example of an inland body of water with this restriction on the horsepower or size of engine is Squantz Pond, the listing for which states, in pertinent part: THESE ARE MOTOR SIZE RESTRICTIONS
Quote:
Larger motors may be attached but the propeller must be removed and the motor inclined out of the water or as high as possible. In most areas, as long as you keep the motor out of the water and wrap a plastic bag on the propeller, it will be sufficient (there are a few places where they may want the prop actually off).

This restriction appears to be different than a prohibition on motors, like the one on Ball Pond, the listing for which states, in pertinent part: YES, it is different – and at Ball Pond, you cannot launch a boat with any type (gas, electric, steam) of motor attached, regardless of motor size/horsepower.
Quote:
Ball Pond — New Fairfield, 82.5 acres.
Regulations: Vessels with motors attached prohibited. (Emphasis supplied and added.)

And both of the foregoing appear to be different than a restriction on the use of internal combustion engines, like the one on Batterson Park Pond, the listing for which states, in its entirety:
Quote:
Batterson Park Pond — Farmington/New Britain, 140 acres.
Regulations: Use of internal combustion engines prohibited. Watercraft launched and recovered only at the state boat ramp. Launch: I-84, Exit 37, south onto Fienemann Rd., left onto Alexander Rd., launch on left. Parking: 25 cars. (Emphasis supplied and added.)

I have a friend who has a small boat with a small outboard engine. He like to fish Batterson Park Pond. He doesn't have a propeller wrench. Although he can remove the engine from the boat, it's still a chore. To be in compliance with the use restriction, would it be sufficient for him to simply not bring any fuel aboard his boat when he launches it with the engine attached? YES- I suggest also lifting the motor out of the water.

Incidentally, the signage next to the boat launch ramp at Batterson Park Pond is so worn that it's illegible. I had a lot of trouble locating the notice regarding the restriction on the use of internal combustion engines and couldn't read it when I did. Thanks.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys, that's what I was looking for. I couldn't find it in writing at the boat ramp or online. It just seemed like I was being unjustly harrased.

I have no problem tilting the motor up if that's the law. I'd prefer not to because the boat tracks better in the wind with it down plus it takes up more room in the back because it's mounted high on a jack plate.
JJay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Phil - great details and info.
I am sure many will benefit from this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: