CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Anyone interested in showing me some fly fishing tips?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevius86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Anyone interested in showing me some fly fishing tips? Reply with quote

So I'm new to fly fishing, but I think I have the basics down. I was wondering if anyone was interested in meeting up somewhere and showing some tips and techniques like reading the water, identifying hatches, and just good spots to fish. I'd be grateful for any written advice as well. I think I like fly fishing more than spin casting....
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In the spring, when the water is high and rolly, best to fish close to the banks where the water will be flowing much slower.

Rest of the year, fish riffles morning and evening when the fish will be feeding on hatches.
Mid-stream, the fish will hold in the pockets in front and back of stream boulders or in deep runs. Water is more oxygeneded and cooler.
In coming rivelets of spring water will have trout holding in that cooler water during hot Wx.

Hope that gives you some ideas of what to look for!

SeaDog1 "Never Give In ... Never Back Down"
Stevius86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So attack those riffles in the mornings. What about "pools" where the water was slowed? Books I have read mentioned looking for the deeper pools where the water has calmed to find larger fish.

Is there anytime of the year that is better/worse?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Trout are cold water fish.

Try to find waters that are cold in this hot Wx or heavily shaded with a good flow. Trout need lots of oxygen.

May and June are prime months for trout fly fishing.
After hot summer Wx has past (late Sept to Nov.), try rivers and streams that have gravel beds at their upper most flows. That's where you'll find spawning Browns gathering.

SeaDog1 "Never Give In ... Never Back Down"
ladyfisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing about flyfishing is you never stop learning. One book I would recommend is Hatch Guide for New England Streams by Thomas Ames....gives you all the info you need. And regarding fishing slow water pools...always follow a foam line in the water , if the fish are looking up that's where they'll be looking for the bugs stuck in the foam....as the foam moves from side to side, so do the fish....always remember. " foam is home " ......of course if you're fishing for Smallies, they're just crazy & will go after anything you throw.
Stevius86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip lady fisher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: