CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Blue Crabs in Milford
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cd662

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Blue Crabs in Milford Reply with quote

Not sure if people even are looking for crab reports here. I went on a falling tide at a popular Milford location and did not do so hot - 3 keepers and one soft shell. Didn't really observe a lot of shorts. The only remarkable occurrence was some sort of freak event; I was going along the rocks to look for crabs and I saw what looked like an eel sitting in about a half inch of water. I figured it was dead or dying and it's gills weren't moving (although gill flap movement on eels differs from other fish). I went to examine it and lift it out of the water since it was lifeless and of course, the moment I tried to grab it, it bolted away. Crabbing has been slow for me but I'm also not hitting ideal tides.
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been looking at the crab reports, but I think it would be interesting to go sometime. I'm in the Milford area, if you're around and going out crabbing and wouldn't mind a tag along sometime let me know. I'm working on getting my freshwater fishing gear in order and trying to find some time to go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of slow going as of late, I'll certainly let you know if it picks up. Coincidentally, I've been trying to get into the Air Force lately. Smile
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Do you know what you want to do in the Air Force or are you just in the beginning stages of the recruiting process? If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. I served 6 years on active duty as a cop. I'm trying to get into the Air Force Reserve now to be an Aeromedical Evacuation med tech.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue Crabs in Milford Reply with quote

Cd662 wrote:
Not sure if people even are looking for crab reports here.

The answer to your question is, "Yes". I've been crabbing only a couple of times down in West Haven, but I hope to get out again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out again two nights ago in an undisclosed location (not poaching, just don't want other local crabbers to get upset with me). Was just scapping with waders. I ended up with six or seven hardshells and two softshells, including a nice big male. It wasn't fast action but it was a nice evening out and I had pleasant conversational company. I sent my report to Tim Visel (the guy who posts those awesome things on this site) and he confirmed that other areas are also seeing lots of small crabs. Most of the crabs I saw were in the 2.5 - 4" range, but some were even smaller. The ratio of shorts to keepers was probably about 6:1 or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: