CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Safe Boating Certificate Requirements?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanJay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Safe Boating Certificate Requirements? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I will be attending the B.A.S.S. Eastern Divsional event on the CT River this September in Hartford.

Myself and 12 others from Ontario, Canada will be fishing in this event. Do we require a Safe Boating Certificate from the DEP to fish the CT River?

We have a similar program in Ontario but I want to know if we require additional training in CT?
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that is for CT residents only but you may want to contact the DEP to confirm.
regl
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything about international, but here is an excerpt regarding out of state:

9. I live in another state. Do I need the Boating Certificate to operate my boat on Connecticut waters?

The Safe Boating Certificate was designed for people who own property in the State of Connecticut, residents of the State of Connecticut or people who have a vessel required to be registered or display a Certificate of Decal in the State of Connecticut. If you live in another state and operate your vessel on Connecticut waters for more than sixty days in a calendar year, you will need the boating certificate. You will also need a Certificate of Decal (which is handled through DMV.)

Source: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=322290

Additionally; Not sure about fishing licenses/permits if you are out of state either and I am sure other members will know more, but here is a link for fishing license info:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322716&depNav_GID=1630
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a CT fishing License.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Chuck said. You will need a state fishing license but you're exempt from the Boating certificate requirements unless you plan on pre-fishing the river for 2 months prior to the tourney. Very Happy Good luck in the tournament CanJay.
fishingeek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear! My Dad may be bringing his "light bass boat" (read: pontoon boat with a trawling motor mount) down from MA for some CT fishing... The way that excerpt read, it sounds like we shouldn't have problems due to his boat not being registered in CT if he comes down a weekend or two in the fall. Heck - maybe I can even borrow the thing from him for a weekend or two...
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishinggeek, be sure to read the regulations carefully before "borrowing" the boat as you being the operator of the boat (even if dad is with you) and if you are a CT state resident then you will be required to have a boating certificate in order to legally operate your dad's boat. The way the law is worded my take is your dad is exempt because he is not a Ct resident but you are not exempt. Best way to avoid this is to just take the boating course and get it over with. Certificate is good for life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: