CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: Very ballsy black bear at Black Pond!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Very ballsy black bear at Black Pond! Reply with quote

Hi, all! I'm new to the forum and I thought I'd put out a bit of a warning to anyone who fishes Black Pond in Meriden.

My friend and I were there last week, fishing at the third little clearing when you walk down the fishing trail right around the pond, and we had a black bear sneak up on us within about 10 feet before we noticed her. We tried walking further down the trail, and after sniffing around all of the gear we had to drop, she began following us. We cut up the wooded hill to the hiking trail, she followed us. Once we got up to the hiking trail, we just booked it in the other direction down to the parking lot, about a quarter mile. Within 3-5 minutes of alerting others in the parking lot, she came walking out of the woods, into the lot and toward us. A man grabbed some metal pipes out of the bed of his truck and began banging them on the pavement and yelling at her, but she didn't seem all THAT concerned. He had to start charging toward her and screaming before she turned around and casually trotted back into the woods. The next day I called the DEP and spoke to their bear biologist, he agreed that this behavior was very unusual and kind of concerning. He said they were going to send a team out there to check it out. Later that night, she was sighted on the front porch of a girl I know who lives just around the corner from Black Pond, haha. I urged her to call in her sighting as well. This bear isn't terribly large, she's probably about 150 lbs and has yellow ear tags. I'm not sure what happened with the DEP and I haven't been back there fishing since, but I think it's important for people to be aware of this. She was a tad too curious for comfort!
x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a bear fishing before, I really don't know how I would handle that situation.
RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell ya, I always thought I'd be able to stay cool, calm and collected...and maybe I would have if we saw her from a distance. I don't care who you are...when you turn around and there's a bear closing in on you at ten feet, you're just going to react! I've had some pretty scary and dangerous animal calls at work over the years, but at least I go into those somewhat prepared. This was by far the scariest encounter I've had. I am keeping everything crossed that I never have a run-in with a mountain lion!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon wrote:
I am keeping everything crossed that I never have a run-in with a mountain lion!

Laughing Haven't you heard? There aren't any mountain lions in Connecticut! The DEEP says so! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, must be those mutant bobcats.

We've had a handful of reported sightings here in Wallingford this year, several of which were within 2-3 miles of my home. Makes me a little uneasy, but man, I'd love to see one! Eh...just not in the same way we encountered that bear! I feel like we wouldn't have fared as well with a mountain lion!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some photos next time!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda hoping there won't be a next time, but if there is I'll try to break long enough from peeing my pants to pull out the iPhone and snap a few good shots Laughing
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fished that exact spot and guess who's never going back?

<---- This guy.
RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. Well, if it's any consolation, I have spoken with quite a few people who fish or hike there regularly and they've never seen or heard of a bear being there. I guess we were just lucky that day!
x182dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishing from a boat sounds so much safer ill stick to that lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x182dan wrote:
fishing from a boat sounds so much safer ill stick to that lol

What if you're on a boat and a 350 pounder comes swimming towards you?!
Wink

as the case on our 7/25/12 trip out to Lake McD Surprised

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/bearing-it-all-lake-mcd-7-25-t10115.html
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJay wrote:
What if you're on a boat and a 350 pounder comes swimming towards you?! Wink

Get the net! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a frieghtening experience. Maybe a young bear looking for its mother. I hope the DEEP finds it before it gets in trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: