CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Offshore Reports
Viewing Topic: Anyone offshore kayak fishing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone offshore kayak fishing? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've been interested in venturing out onto the sound on my kayak to catch some fish but still a little chicken shit. I'm looking for maybe a small group of guys to venture out with to gain some experience. I'd like to start with daytime fishing and eventually move into night time fishing. Let me know if you are game.

Ken
jbrown815

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://yakdawgs.com/

Saltwater Offshore Kayaking Fishing Guide Service...could be interesting to take a look at. Prices don't seem too unreasonable and they provide bait guidance and pictures apparently.
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jbrown. I checked out their site and forum and they had a lot of great information. I'll try to hook up with someone over there after my knee surgery!
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting one of those inflateable.kayaksn.start fishing too a Lil chicken here to incase i.get one plays tag along
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone offshore kayak fishing? Reply with quote

kennethshaw wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been interested in venturing out onto the sound on my kayak to catch some fish but still a little chicken shit. I'm looking for maybe a small group of guys to venture out with to gain some experience. I'd like to start with daytime fishing and eventually move into night time fishing. Let me know if you are game.

Ken

Hi,

Just a friendly FYI!
Weather is going to be a big factor in saltwater fiahing.
And so will knowledge of tides and LIS currents.

Oh! and keep in mind that these guys do come into LIS also Exclamation
Number of ....Great White Sharks sighted off New England beaches this year.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
GKolyagin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a kayak and a roof rack so I will be going out sometime this week or weekend. Michael might be too pm me if interested. We should get peco to come out too.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GKolyagin (Genna) said, I'm in too. I still haven't gotten my kayak out with somebody else. Got a 12V battery for my Humingbird 160 back in July and have everything needed.

Better keep an eye on the forecasted winds, cause they can do a lot!
slomotioncharters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Yak Fishermen Reply with quote

I run a small Charters business, catch a lot of fish. Thing I notice about the Yaks are their ability to get to places my boat can't. However, I have range. This year I will try to add a new dimension to chartering. I want to offer my services to take 3 maybe 4 Yaks to the South Side of Fishers Island for a day of fishing. These waters are excellent for bass and fluke. Not many yakers, if any. Give me some feedback and tell me what you think.
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea. I've made it out to Fishers in my kayak but covering ground is definitely an issue. Definitely need to be more experienced to fish from a kayak. Don't know the skill level of the people that you normally take out but I'd say significant experience kayaking and fishing would be a must.
slomotioncharters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different than along the Ct shore. I'm thinkin drop of at sunrise near the flag pole. Yakers got the day to work the beaches and rocks. Agree on a time and pick up spot. My mate will clean and package fish on the way in. I'll be on my cell...just in case. I have a lot of time on the south side, mainly at night. I can tell you some spots, but I won't give up the house.LOL
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your service would just be to bring the kayakers there, not necessary put them on the fish like you would in the boat.

Definitely wish I got to do more fishing from a boat at night. Do you do charters at night or is that just personal stuff?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful if you cross some of the open water in Fisher's Island Sound. Had a friend with electric motor who got caught on a building tide and swells just past Napatree Point. He got caught in the eddy of one off the cans and really struggled to get out of that and back to shore. Scared the crap out of him, and rightly so. The RI salt ponds are really good for yacks as well. Can't wait 'til the stripers show up!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
wolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Yak Fishermen Reply with quote

Hey I am from the yakdawgs site
This mother ship idea is certainly supercool!!

But I think we may need more guidance in terms of spots, conditions and methods. Because fishing a new spot is tough and would easily get a skunk without the necessary knowledge.

slomotioncharters wrote:
I run a small Charters business, catch a lot of fish. Thing I notice about the Yaks are their ability to get to places my boat can't. However, I have range. This year I will try to add a new dimension to chartering. I want to offer my services to take 3 maybe 4 Yaks to the South Side of Fishers Island for a day of fishing. These waters are excellent for bass and fluke. Not many yakers, if any. Give me some feedback and tell me what you think.
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive gone out several times in my kayak. I usually have my dad within sight in my big boat just in case weather turns rough. I would recommend trying the thames on a nice day. I usually use chunk bait and drift down river with pretty good luck for the most part. I've had the fog roll in once and lost sight of pretty much everything outside of fifty feet... not a good feeling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Offshore Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: