CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Night Fishing Spots near Uconn?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Night Fishing Spots near Uconn? Reply with quote

Let me begin by saying that I typically don't try to just pry information out without giving back. However, I have not had a lot of time lately during the daytime and with sunlight fading quickly, this will not change soon. I have done almost no fishing around Uconn where I go to school and miss it bad. My solution is to try to get out at night, I have only been night fishing a handful of times, and usually it has been because the places I was going lets say are places you aren't necessarily encouraged to fish. So I am looking for somewhere within a half hour that has the potential to produce at night. I have a kayak but I don't think I'm ready/possibly allowed? to be out at night, so I'll be sticking to shore.

I know you are allowed to fish Mansfield Hollow 24/7 supposedly according to the sign at the launch. I have not been out there even in the day yet but I am going to try to get there this weekend. It seems too big to have a chance from shore.

I guess I would prefer somewhere that is not too dangerous as far as wildlife, getting lost, police Wink but would be willing to try anywhere I would have a chance. Also, I will likely be with Ryan (rmflint) and would be happy to have a guide/tagalong if anyone would be interested. Also if I could be so bold to ask if anyone has any tips on night fishing in general. So if anyone would like to help out I would be deeply appreciative. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Suggest you get a Ct. road map.
Using UCONN as the center -> Trace a circle 20 miles out from there.
Using this as your target area (1/2 hour drive at avg. 40 mph).
Within this circle, you should be able to find a number of waters as listed in the "Ct. Anglers Guide".

Then read up on those waters and what rules and regs. apply.
If need be -> call the town hall, and appropriate dept., where that particular water is for futher info.

Good luck,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone Mill Road - past the cemetery - should be spooky enough for ya
mikey5string

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a ton of places to fish up there. I went to UCONN and while I didnt fish while I was there I went to a few spots that made me wish I had my rod.

If you know where Millbrook apartments are, down that road past Millbrook, there is a nice little pond on the left.

Go to google maps and look at uconn. You should be able to see a bunch of spots./
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got some great trout fishing out your way, as well as some other hidden gems in the quiet corner. You might try http://www.jtsflyshop.com/ for some info.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack light for night fishing, easier to lose and misplace things in the dark. Plus, extra gear will weigh you down when you're running away from wildlife and/or authority figures. Wink
A good headlamp and some sonic baits are all you need. Maybe try to avoid places with no cell reception (Breakneck) As for the wildlife, just be alert and make some noise every so often (and make sure you can run faster than Ryan.) Good luck!

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll take everything into consideration. I'm really hoping to be able to get out more over the next month and learn some of the good spots up here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where i was today at mansfield hollow was sooo far away from any civilization. there were no paths around anymore and all i saw at the shore were foot prints. fisihng there at night would be sketchy are hell.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmflint wrote:
where i was today at mansfield hollow was sooo far away from any civilization. there were no paths around anymore and all i saw at the shore were foot prints. fisihng there at night would be sketchy are hell.

Sketchy = big bass

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmflint wrote:

Sketchy = big bass

zegermanznew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, sketchy means awesome . .

I love Mansfield Hollow, minus the storm I got shrouded in last trip.

FWIW, I have the D.E.E.P on speed dial. hahaha I travel around the state for work a lot and I keep my fishing gear in my truck. If I see a body of water and I have a question (during normal operating hours) I just call them and ask. If its past closing, I just do it and claim negligence when the fuzz arrive.

USUALLY, when they find out your not doing drugs or raping anybody they just ask you to leave. No harm no foul. .
zegermanznew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, sketchy means awesome . .

I love Mansfield Hollow, minus the storm I got shrouded in last trip.

FWIW, I have the D.E.E.P on speed dial. hahaha I travel around the state for work a lot and I keep my fishing gear in my truck. If I see a body of water and I have a question (during normal operating hours) I just call them and ask. If its past closing, I just do it and claim negligence when the fuzz arrive.

USUALLY, when they find out your not doing drugs or raping anybody they just ask you to leave. No harm no foul. .
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zegermanznew wrote:

What?!?! Shocked You got lucky once when you were raping someone while doing drugs and the cops let you go? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PECo"]
What?!?! Shocked You got lucky once when you were raping someone while doing drugs and the cops let you go? Laughing[/quote]

Embarassed You got me! Laughing

(Disclaimer: I am pro death penalty for rapists. I am also not a rapist.)
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I hear talking about night fishing I get excited. I have done very well, though its a small sample size. I have been to Mirror Lake on campus twice this week for about a total of an hour when I've had a little time. I just got back and I caught 3 fish all over 16" and all FAT. Here's the only picture I was able to find enough light to get and this was the smallest fish I caught.

If anyone wants to go anywhere in the area at night, like i said, I'd be very interested!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: