CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Offshore Reports
Viewing Topic: SNAFU 8/28 - 29 @ Fishtails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snafu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: SNAFU 8/28 - 29 @ Fishtails Reply with quote

Went out on a Tue-Wed overnight tuna trip with Marco, Joe and Pops.

Lines in the water at a nice 1.5 degree break about 10 miles north of the tails at 5:30PM had a hookup about a minute late. After a short fight the hook pulled, several passes thru the area with no joy. Trolled till 8PM without a sniff and then decided to tie up for the night as the wind and seas were not conducive for a drift in my small boat.
Found a well placed highflier on the east side wall and had Marco & Joe tie us up. They were very excited at the chance to wrestle with the pole .

Deployed the hydro-glow, sword and tuna baits and set in for the windy night. Boats on either side of us also had the hydro-glow lights, was nice to see from the outside how well the light casts its glow all around the other boats. Very little squid activity during the night on the ff or in the lights. Only action for the night was a shark that took an eel set down at 25'. Seemed a bit on the slow side from the radio chatter.

Up and on the troll at dark 4:45AM heading to the deep, as has been happening on my previous canyon trips we hooked up to something big, dumping the line with the drag pegged on full and pulled the hook. One of these days I'm going to find out what’s been taking the lures in the dark :cursing-text:

Trolled for several hours without a hit until we ventured up on the middle flats. Hooked up with 3 fish, first one brought aboard is a 50lb albie the next an 80lb yellow. The third was lost when my brand new reel locked up between gears and the line snapped. Lost a lure to an aggressive wahoo, I hope he enjoys my green machine

Found an area just NW of the Tails being worked hard by 9 boats, as we got closer we could see several boats hooked up. Joined in the fun and had 2 fish hooked up, lost 1 got the other albie in. As were resetting the lines, Water Clam get a hookup as he is letting out line and nearly looses the rod and himself overboard, he lands the 45lb albie.

On the troll north on the way in we passed a floating cardboard box and pick up a medium mahi. After that lines ion and steamed for home.

The score was 5 fish lost 5 in the box, a rather poor showing at 50%.
Tashmoo 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% isn't bad at all.

Beach gear was taken off boat last night and we hope to get out Saturday/Sunday weather permitting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atleast the glass is half full.All in all meat in the cooler is a good thing.
Everyone has ups and downs especially out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Offshore Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: