CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Islamorada Florida Keys Fishing in October
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syxx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Islamorada Florida Keys Fishing in October Reply with quote

We've had a lot of wind the last couple days and it's expected to continue through the weekend from 10/12/12. Yesterday it was a hard northwest wind of 20 mph and we made our way back to islamorada backcountry fishing cape sable hoping the northerlyeasterly wind would hold there and keep the waters semi-clean. Unfortunately it swung around from the northwest which it has a way of doing back there this time of year october fishing in the florida keys, and the water in the gulf was a mess plus big swells making the ride a little bouncy but nothing my seacraft couldn't handle. Luckily the water where we fished was semi-protected, we fished some points on the low water as it was just starting in and picked a few nice reds and a snook on pinfish, also our friend Bob Mclure who fished with us hooked and lose a very nice snook on light tackle casting shrimp. Bob was a major league pitcher for 20 years in the MLB, pitching for many teams including the Brewers in the 1982 world series. Great to have him join us on this october islamorada fishing report. He has still coached for many teams in the last couple decades, including our own Miami Marlins! We tried a few other mouths and points however the high water seemed to have the fish scattered further in for our october fishing in islamorada. So went deep into some of the creeks to some very shallow stuff, luckily the in tide and high water I had no problem getting my larger boat around. We found some neat spots, picking half a dozen reds or so in 4 spots, plus a few more snook and a black drum, all in 2 foot of water or less. Redfish in Islamorada is going to be great this winter! Later we headed back towards home and fished east cape. Got into several nice snook here catching another 5 or so, plus losing several on trees and downed debris, plus some more nice reds and a small goliath. Islamorada snook fishing is great in the fall! We also found a few more nice spots with reds in deeper water, and had one tarpon eat and spit a pinfish. Also lost a snook who jumped into a tree that was likely close to 20 lbs! Very fun day didn't get in till almost 5:00!

Capt. Rick Stanczyk
rick@seethefloridakeys.net
Fishing Islamorada

since 1944!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday I'd love to get into topwater fun with inshore snook, redfish, tarpon, and sea trout.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it down there.

As you can see, last trip was that crappy cold season in '10. Still good times and some fish. Need to get back down in warmer weather!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a great pic of a tarpon from one of trips this week shot by Ron and shared by Ted Wilson!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Scott M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there in February for my bachelor party...great fishing, shitty motel, and some "entertainment". Bascially the best bachelor party a guy who like to fish could have...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: