CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: Visual Distress Signals Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Visual Distress Signals Reply with quote

The Connecticut and USCG boating regulations appear to require that Class 1 boats (i.e., 16 feet to less than 26 feet) carry Visual Distress Signals approved for both daytime use and nighttime use on coastal waters only. Per the 2012 Connecticut Boater's Guide:
Quote:
Visual Distress Signals (VDS)
Visual distress signals are to be used to summon assistance when in distress.

In the State of Connecticut no VDS are required anywhere except when boating on Long Island Sound (LIS) and on Fishers Island Sound (FIS).

Has anyone here with a Class 1 boat ever had an official safety inspection in Connecticut? I'm wondering whether EnCon is aware that Visual Distress Signals are NOT required.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm not required to carry a VDS, I have been inspected twice. If you get the safety inspection sticker at the beginning of the season you will largely avoid this. Better have that fire extinguisher!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My wooden guide boat is only 14'-2" and I am not required to carry VDS.

I do have some though because I do a lot of night fishing.

Better to have some for safety then without !

SeaDog1
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a safety inspection last year, and this year. When I was inspected this year, I was at a Lake and the gentleman didn't seem interested in my flares that I had. When doing the checklist he was more concerned about lights, sound signal, fire ext, and reg. I have a 18ft. I'm pretty sure they are aware. I keep an updated boaters guide in my boat in case they tell me I'm wrong. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
I've gotten a safety inspection last year, and this year. When I was inspected this year, I was at a Lake and the gentleman didn't seem interested in my flares that I had. When doing the checklist he was more concerned about lights, sound signal, fire ext, and reg. I have a 18ft. I'm pretty sure they are aware. I keep an updated boaters guide in my boat in case they tell me I'm wrong. Wink

Thanks, Steve. I've ordered a three pack of day/night flares, but just wanted to be sure that they're not really required. They have a shelf life of only 42 months, so if the ones I get are more than a few months old, I'll probably return them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Shelf life is not what you want to base/purchase a VDS appliance on.

All VDS appliances will have (per Federal Law) an expiration date printed on them !
Best to check or ask for that information before purchasing.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wooden guide boat is only 14'-2" and I am not required to carry VDS. I do have some though because I do a lot of night fishing. Better to have some for safety then without !

When I fish at night along the coast a wear a Mustang commercial vest with a waterproof handheld VHF radio , a whistle on a lanyard and a pair of Xenon strobes and a few chem sticks in the pockets. May sound like overkill til the one time you go over and your boat drifts away.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RNA,

I have all the same safety equipment you have except I don't carry my portable VHF since most of my fishing is now done on inland waters.

VHF is line of sight radio and doesn't work well inland with hills and trees ! Rolling Eyes

Hmmmmm? -> I do think though I should check the battery on the VHF ! Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
angry john

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good to see that we have safety minded people here. I am thinking up a pack to bring on the yak with me, but i dont think there are any requirements other than life vests. I think i will tailor mine to cold water being that is the most likely threat.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Phil,

Shelf life is not what you want to base/purchase a VDS appliance on.

All VDS appliances will have (per Federal Law) an expiration date printed on them !
Best to check or ask for that information before purchasing.

Best regards,
SeaDog1

You say potato. . . . The shelf life of the flares I ordered is 42 months from the date of manufacture, Stephen. If you can handle the math, you'll know when they expire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Yes! I know the math all to well because of having to comply with stringent annual USCG vessel inspections Exclamation -> And I've ordered hundreds of VDS's during my maritime career and received VDS's from marine supply scources with less then a month of service life before their expiration date.

"Buyer beware" Exclamation

"It's the expiration date that counts", as to how long the VDS's are good for before you have to replace them.!

42 months from date of manufacturing be damned -> You may get VDS's that may be legally sold with much less actual service time -> 12...24...36 months or less... or the full 42.

Like milk or other foods even batteries, etc. you purchase -> You may get something still saleable with only one day left before their expiration date.

Check the stamped expiration date Exclamation

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say potato. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,, were do you plan on taking your boat,,you will be inspected in time,,flares,,I only had to use them on Champlain,,and my plastic whistle I keep in my glove box is louder than my boat horn,,I also keep a flourescent t shirt in my compartment in case I have to wave it for help,,and dont forget,, if somebody is waving you down,,,YOU MUST STOP,,or they can report you,, You dont need flares in CT in inland waters..Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Phil,, were do you plan on taking your boat,,you will be inspected in time,,flares,,I only had to use them on Champlain,,and my plastic whistle I keep in my glove box is louder than my boat horn,,I also keep a flourescent t shirt in my compartment in case I have to wave it for help,,and dont forget,, if somebody is waving you down,,,YOU MUST STOP,,or they can report you,, You dont need flares in CT in inland waters..Jim

I thought you'd just hoist your thong, Jim. Those rhinestones are visible for miles! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they might not be needed but it hurts nothing haveing them onboard the boat . When it comes to safty gear I would rather choose to have what I think is helpful not just what they say I must have
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: