CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: livewell operation for a DIY job?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCUBAshep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: livewell operation for a DIY job? Reply with quote

So, I bought my boat and the guy I bought it from bought it off a guy that had done a bunch of extra things to it on his own. My question is with the livewell system that he installed. There are 2 igloo coolers with pvc pipe running through them and 2 aerators in the back of the boat. Was wondering how this system is supposed to work? The livewells (coolers) don't fill up all the way when the boat is put in the water, and I know i'm sounding a bit retarded here but shouldn't they fill all the way up or do I have to run the aerators? Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated, since at the moment all I use them for are...well...coolers, haha. Thanks
ripline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics would help.

Are they through hull gravity fed? They fill without the use of a pump?

The aerators might just be for oxygenating the water that flows in there. If they are pumps they will draw water in but then there must be an overflow so you don't fill your boat with water.
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first bass boat(really a 14' jon boat) needed a livewell for us to be able to do tournys. I made one out of a huge Igloo cooler, 108 quart size. Took up the whole back of the boat. You should have an inlet pump thru your transom with a screen filter on it, which should fill from the bottom of the cooler, you should also have an overflow outlet a few inches bellow the top so you don't overfill and flood your boat like Ripline said. Without pictures it really is hard to say, but you hopefully have a pump to get water from outside into the coolers. The aerators should just be for extra oxygen, but if you run fresh water occasionally into the system you won't need it. Hope this helps and good luck.
SCUBAshep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the input guys, I will get on putting some pictures up here if it's not too late(I know it's been awhile since I've been on here, my wife had our son shortly after). Hopefully I will be able to get some stuff done on the boat during the winter.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, congratuations, Dad! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank ya much sir! It's been a challenge but definitely a blast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: