CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: The drain plugs from hell...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: The drain plugs from hell... Reply with quote

So, was looking for some help/advice. Yesterday I winterized my boat, got everything done EXCEPT the lower unit oil. When I went to do it, I couldn't get either of the drain screws off. I used the big type flat head screwdriver and tried removing them and no luck. It's getting to the point where they are starting to strip. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get these out? I did order some new ones and they are on their way. Once I can get these out I'll replace them but I'm seriously having a tough ass time trying to get them out...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried soaking them in penetrating oil or WD40?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried WD-40 but that didn't work. I was thinking of trying penetrating oil or something similar. That's my next try tomorrow morning. I'm hoping I can get them out without having to drill them out or using a tool like that. Any recommendations on a good penetrating or special oil that might loosen them?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your replaceing the plugs anyway..drill a small hole in the center of plug and insert a easy out into it and take it out with a sockect wrench at least that way you wount murphy the theads in the lower unit.... if your have a magor problem with it let me know we can have ya bring it here to my shop i got the tools handy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if its safe to heat around the nuts but doing that would expand it making the bolt or nut not so tight and the easy out is also the way to go!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using "PB Blaster" penetrating oil, best stuff out there.

Now without actually seeing them I have a question...

The drain plug has a flat head screwdriver head?

I used to work on older Honda motorcycles & they would have drain plugs & other bolts with a philips head which would require using an "impact driver" to loosen them.

(It is a spring loaded tool with interchangeable bits that you use a hammer to hit the tool and it loosens the bolts.)
About $10-$20 at Harbor Freight Tools, you DON'T NEED a $$$$ Snap-On version either.

If that's the case, you WILL need to use one to get those out.

JC
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. It is a flat head screw. I've heard about impact drivers my dad was telling me that might be ideal. What I'm going to do is try some of that PB oil, and also an impact driver. If its a no go then I might need your assistance Bob. I'll report back after the weekend, I hope it works.

Appreciate everyone's help!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's absolutely right about the pub blaster! If there is a Nutty Company near I know they sell that stuff.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got PB blaster here its great stuff .....the impact might work but go gingerly the lower units cast metal and thin wall at that, might not take to much tapping. If by chance you do muff the treads up dont loose heart theres several way to fix it..... Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I just finished cleaning up and getting everything squared away. So yesterday I took a trip to pep boys and grabbed some PB Blaster, and Sears to grab a impact driver...it was about $17.

This morning I sprayed the two screws, waited 10 minutes and used the impact driver by banging it with a hammer and they came out! I drained the lower unit oil, replaced it, and just in time the mailman came and delivered my new screws. Luckily these new ones are hex screws (I like these better).

Thanks so much for your help Bob and JC. I am truly impressed on that PB stuff. I used it today on my car to get some rusted out nuts off and it works wonders, seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
I am truly impressed on that PB stuff. I used it today on my car to get some rusted out nuts off and it works wonders, seriously.

You put PB on your nuts? You should be posting this stuff on another forum, Steve. . . . Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: