CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon River Pulaski NY Steelhead Fishing Report - PLUS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy Jones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Salmon River Pulaski NY Steelhead Fishing Report - PLUS! Reply with quote

Salmon River Guide Pulaski NY Drift Boat Steelhead Guide Fishing Report Salmon River NY Fly Spin Fish:
-
2,000 to 4,000 Steelhead over 12 miles of the Salmon River Pulaski NY with more arriving daily.
-
Complementary Tips:
Steelhead top to bottom of river with fresh Chrome entering daily. Running the river spreading out. All Fall Spots still producing.
With the water temperature around 40 degrees, we are seeing some of the residents transferring into their Winter lyes.
It's approx. 30% Fall spots, 30% Winter spots and 30% inbetween. All Transitional holding, resting and Prime holding water is hold'n.
Every type of habitat is producing. The entire river is producing. You can find them almost anywhere presently.
Even heard reports of a few fresh Kings and Coho Salmon in the river.
Best of luck to you all!
-
This last week we played with on average 8 to 12 Steelhead daily. On 1 day, my one guest w/ a fly rod hit 18 Steelhead!
Another day my 2 very experienced spin clients played w/ over 20!! Ye-Haa! First Mate Matt and his Lake Ontario Charter Boat Capt. Dad, Jerry.
Had what I call a DAY for KINGS!
-
For the first 2 hour's skunk, nothing, nada, not even a sucker in a spot where the Steelhead had been loaded the day before. I started to chain smoke, chew tobacco and put on a nicotine patch. Glad I gave up drinking. (har-har) I was getting nervous. I knew that most of these Steelhead were residents who had set up shop in this prime lye. But, where were they? I pulled anchor and guessed with the water temperature dropping they were all just a lil lower in the deeper, less current habitat. I was right!
We HAMMERED over 20 Steelhead with my 2 very experienced Steelhead guest's! One after the other in a short 4 hour period! Dam, I love this job!
-
The previous day I had the luxury to be able to move the driftboat around freely and fish different prime area's. We had approx. 18 Steelhead on that day with 1 guest useing a fly rod!
-
Egg sack's, hot shoting (plugging w/ drift boat), beads and flies are all producing daily. The wade - shore anglers are having a lot of success also. It's always nice to share the fish, water and see other's out enjoying this incredible fishery w/ success!
-
I would highly recommend coming up to do some Steelhead fishing. A good guide with a drift boat and heater could only increase your odds. Helping you along the path to more enjoyable and knowledgeable fishing. I just so happen to know one. He even offers complementary fishing info. on his website. Smile
-
From the Mail Bag:
Randy I would appreciate your thoughts regarding what is the appropriate "line" to use for the butt section of the fly leader when fishing for steelhead. I use 12 pound clear mono between the floating fly line and barrel swivel and then fluorocarbon for a tippet. But I also observe others using a dark brown line for this section and referred to as "chameleon". Not sure if it makes a difference, but the darker color leader is claimed to be an advantage during bright sunny days; less reflection off the line. Thus the late day activity I experienced Wednesday may not be the result of warmer water temperature, but less sunlight to reduce the reflection (or it could have been a push of steelhead entering the tailout). Thanks. Dick.
-
HI Dick,
The brown mono is Maxima. Some guides use it exclusively, even for leaders or tippets to fly, bait.
It breaks approx. 1 -1/2 lb/s more than what it is rated for. (Please see my Links-The Very Best page for the best in Mono and Fluorocarbon, it all breaks at what its rated for and is also what most of the tournament anglers use around the world for all species. Its also used by many for any local, regional, national, world record hold'rs)
Blends in with a dark bottom river. Never thought about reflective qualities, hmmm.
For traditional fly casting a tapered leader transfer's the energy the best.
I just use clear 10-12 lb. straight mono for butt.
An 8 lb. mono straight butt is less current - water resistance than heavier - Diameter, so you will get into the strike zone quick'r and stay longer. Also feel the bottom better.
But, a good snag will sometimes break it, so keep an eye on it. Thats why I use a 10-12 lb. Less knot tying and lost total rig's.
Clients spend more time fishing and less time waiting on me to tie all those knots. Also, my hands stay warmer when its cold Smile
Best Fish's,
Randy
-
Thats it for this week's Steelhead Salmon River Pulaski NY Drift Boat Guide Fishing Report, Etc... I think I covered all the important stuff.
I'll be updating things next week and will be adding my normal educational articles, Tips, Pics, Humor, Mail Bag stuff. So stop back!
-
Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.
Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here Smile
Hope your all enjoying this great fishing!
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
-
-
-
Guide Salmon River Pulaski NY Drift Boat Steelhead Guide Fishing Report Salmon River NY Fly Spin Fish:
We continue to see reeeeel good Steelhead fishing top to bottom of the Salmon River, Pulaski NY. Fresh Steelhead entering daily and running up the river, spreading out. Starting to see some resident's holding with a continuation of freshies moving thru daily. Water level is a nice pleasant 335 cfs. All spots producing!
Heard its been hit or miss in the lower end. A guide friend hit 2 Steelhead and 1 Brown down low, while guiding. He ended up fishing the middle river later that day, with great result's. Another guide freind did reel well in the middle section of the river. There really is no bad place to fish presently, providing you have the correct Habitat - (there is a lot of empty water out there), Rigging and Presentation.
-
Monday Guide Drift Boat Steelhead Fishing Report Salmon River Pulaski NY: Got out early to get the spot. We were rewarded w/ numerous fish! Lots of jump's, somersaults and silver bullet torpedo runs.
My 2 brand new, inexperienced guest's played with over 10 steelhead while useing a combination of fly rod's and spin.
I even "accidently" (hehe) hooked up 3 while demonstrating. All anglers I spoke with over a 3 mile stretch (that had experience). Had early success in the morning, then it slowed to a crawl by mid-day. We experienced the same.
-
A guide freind w/ 1 client hit approx. 8 Steelhead useing Eggs. My other guide friends 2 clients played w/ approx. 10 Steelhead useing fly rods. I also noticed Steelhead being played with above and below where we were. I'd guess approx. 50 or more Steelhead in our general area. Also saw numerous Steelhead in certain high viz. transitional resting area's mid-afternoon as we slowly drifted by them in the drift boat.
-
Tues. Guide Drift Boat Steelhead Fishing Report Salmon River Pulaski NY:
You can only turn your underwear inside out, so many times, before you HAVE to do your laundry. Smile
-
Wed. Guide Drift Boat Steelhead Fishing Report Salmon River Pulaski NY:
Over 20 Steelhead played with! Ye-Haaa! I can count on 1 hand how many of these days with these incredible #'s my guest's have thru out our 6 month Steelhead season each year. It's HAMMER TIME!

Thursday Guide Drift Boat Steelhead Fishing Report Salmon River Pulaski NY:
Slooowed down. Only a dozen hook'd up thru out the day Wink. Hit'm in all Prime Fall Steelhead Holding and Transitional spot's.
Myself and other guides noticed a decrease in the number of fresh Chrome today. Almost all the fish played with were what I call the resident's. They were darker in color and had been in the river a short while. Takes them a couple - few weeks to get a lil dark'r. The males have rosy checks and the females will be a silvery grayish. They have taken up residence in the prime holding water. I call these "happy fish". They have all 3 things they need to be happy and survive. Just like us!
1. Protection from predator's.
2. A food source
3. Comfort equals current breaks. This conserves there energy for the long Winter.
-
Friday Guide Drift Boat Steelhead Fishing Report Salmon River Pulaski NY:
Only a dozen or so played with Wink, thru out the day. Hit'm in all spot's. Every single Fall Steelhead holding and transitional holding Habitat are with Steelhead. Intrested?
-
All presentational techniques are producing. Some better than other's. Care to learn?
Egg's and egg imitations. Aquatics and bait fish imitations are all producing.
We used a combination of fly rods and spinning rods with incredible results.
-
From the Mail Bag:
This email was sent by one of my good friends and clients for a clarification on the 1/8 ounce added weight regulation in the fly zones.
-
Recently (November 2nd) I fished the LFZ and would appreciate clarification regarding the regulations for this water as well as the UFZ; specifically in relation to what does DEC consider the "1/8 ounce supplemental weight" restriction to represent; a #7, #5, or #4 lead weight or Tin split shot? From my experience Friday, I as well as many other anglers seem unaware of the 1/8 ounce restriction. Thanks Joe.
-
The 1/8th ounce rule has been around for a while, it isn't new for this year and is described on page 34 of the regulations guide. The size split shot isn't the only issue, it is the total added weight to your fly and or line. So if you decide to fish a bead head nymph and use a swivel, the bead head and swivel cannot exceed 1/8th ounce. Or if you just want to use split shot on an un-weighted fly and no swivel then the split shot cannot be over 1/8th ounce. The best way to gauge the split shot sizes would be to get an 1/8th ounce jighead and compare the size of the added weight on it to the split shot you are considering.
Hope this answers you questions,
Scott E. Prindle
Aquatic Biologist
Region 7 Fisheries
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
1285 Fisher Ave.
Cortland, NY 13045-1090
-
Randy,
This response does little to answer my question regarding the size split shot that would comply with "1/8 ounce restriction" if fishing with an un-weighted fly. Thus I will use the website information that identifies a #4 split shot as weighing 1/8 ounce. In reality, a #4 or #5 split shot is generally all that is needed.
Thanks Joe
-
Randy,
Yesterday (Wednesday) I fished the LFZ from 10:30 to 2 PM before traveling to the UFZ (as you have often said, "do not leave fish to find fish"). Did not fish the UFZ as the parking lot was overflowing with parked vehicles (some being parked on the entrance road). Compared with last Friday, it was a slow day fishing again at the ---- pool. Had 6 hook-ups and landed 3 (one a 5 inch rainbow that inhaled a #12 fly). Other than the fisherman 150 feet further upstream, I observed only 5 other hook-ups in the pool. Left for trip home at 3 PM. Surprised at the number of fishermen in the fly zones for the middle of the week; is everyone now retired or unemployed? Thanks Joe
-
Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.
Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here Smile
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
-
-
-
STEELHEAD GUIDE SALMON RIVER PULASKI NY FISHING REPORT STEELHEAD DRIFT BOAT GUIDE SALMON RIVER NY STEELHEAD FLY SPIN FISHING REPORT:
-
Our heart's and prayers go out to those who lost their lives, family and friends. Also to the many who are dealing with and well continue to deal with all of the hardships this storm as produced.
-
Water level has dropped to 335 cfs. plus run-off and most of the leaves are gone. We continue to see steelhead top to bottom of river. Very nice #'s!
Heard a day or so after the water came up the bottom of the river fish'd sloooow. My guide freind took a skunk and didnt see anyone else hook-up.
Another guide friend concurred. I think the higher flow sucked what was there up the river or maybe they weren't biting?
I'm find Steelhead in all the normal places lower-mid-up river. (Please see more detailed complementary info. in previous post's for tips and articles on Prime Steelhead Habitat, Current breaks, Etc..)
-
After the storm:
They evacuated over a 100 homes along the lake as they had flooding - 10-15 foot waves crashing along the shore.
We missed the worst. Only wind, rain and some downed branch's. Was happy to have power.
The neighbors cat was outside our door in the dark, ok, waiting for some affection and treats, as usual.
Once in a while it leaves us treat's of dead mice on the door step.
-
Humor
Today started as one of those relaxing, enjoyable, peaceful rainy days. The only thing that was irritating was when the tranquility of the day was interrupted by that darn whining sound of my guest's drag's. Then people would yell, Fish On. Come on folks, can't a guide get a lil rest, peace and quite around here? The nerve of some people! Then I was expected to chase after this 16 lb. Steelhead that kept doing these darn 25 foot tail walks across the pool, then these obnoxious somersault's 4 feet into the air with a big ol loud belly flop with water splashing 20 feet in all directions. I would have reeeeelly been upset if my hair had gotten wet. Then more speeding bullet run's until that bright orange stringy stuff (backing) would appear behind the fly line.
I just could not win today. Every spot I stopped to fish, my guest's would continually hook more fish. Out of 3 spot's my guest's fished, we hit them in all. I got so fed up that I finally stopped in a spot where no fish has been hooked in over 100 years, and my guest's were still able to hook some up. So much for a nice relaxing day on the water. I think I need to find a new, less stressful job, where a person can get a lil R and R. Wink
-
Fish Fighting Techniques for Steelhead:
(This one may surprise you. It's an oldy but goodie, from the Archives, Enjoy!)
Yes, that's me with the stupid looking hat and the spinning rod.
The first thing I did upon hooking up was to immediately get even or below the fish. This tires the fish out sooner by knocking it off balance and causing it to work harder to stay upright. (An exception to this would be if there was very fast water (drop in the river), deep hole that you can not get around, snags or anything below you that might cause the fish to break you off. Then I would stay a little above the fish)
-
(See all Photo's - w.blank.c, until I do 2 more post'sSmile - Fishing Reports -More Tips, Articles, Pic's and my usual Ramblings Smile
-
I see 95% of the angler's on this river never really load their rod properly when fighting a fish. This is totally understandable (as with everything else Smile because if you've never been told or learned much of this, then it's all new. I certainly didnt know much of this when I was new and I still don't know it all. Smile Most angler's only pull back 1/4 to 1/2 way back. In the above photo I am about 3/4 of the way back with the rod. Before I stop pulling back, the rod is pointed directly behind me with the rod horizontal and next to my ear. The butt (very bottom) of the rod is pointed at the far bank. It's hammer time!
-
By holding your rod upside down with rod tip in the water the fish will normally, slowly and quietly come in without much fuss. By keeping it's head under the water the fish feel's much more comfortable and tends not to freak out. This at times can also be used as a stalling tactic. You will notice some of the more experienced Salmon River anglers inverting their rod shortly after the hook up. This greatly increases the odds for the fish to remain in the hole-pool and not speed off down river. It also helps by hopefully controlling the fish's attitude. Keeping it from thrashing around and breaking off.
-
(See Photo)
-
The above is an example on how many Steelhead are lost with the rod tip up. (If snag's or strong current's are around you then this would be the correct way) Notice the splash? Miss Steelhead did not like it when I pulled her head out of the water. Many fish are lost-broken off at this point.
-
If you listen to the fish it will pretty much tell you at what angle to hold your rod. If the fish is on the other side of the river I always hold my tip high. If I held it low then the full amount of the rivers current would put an awful lot of additional pressure on my line and leader-tippet as it bow's. Many times resulting in breaking the fish off. If the fish is approx. from the middle of the river towards me then I always hold my rod tip just off the surface of the water down low or in the water. (Providing I dont have any real fast currents or snags.)
-
(See Photo)
-
The funniest thing about this picture and the above photo was as I was playing the fish. Anytime I had my rod tip up I lost total control over the fish. It pretty much went anywhere it wanted to. It also took much longer to tire it out. But, as soon as I put the tip low (down and dirty) or in the water. It came straight in at me. This lower rod position combined with standing below the fish will put approx. 3 times more pressure on the fish when it is within 60 feet or so. Tiring it out sooner and gaining much more control over the fish.
-
When reeling in the fish with the tip up:
There are 2 things wrong with the previous sentence.
#1. I will sometimes hold my rod upside down with tip in water when bringing in a steelhead. Fish don't breath air and with tip up it feel's as if (which you are) trying to pull it's head out of the water. This creates a havoc, wrecking ball of nerves that sometimes ends with fish off. I breathe air, so if you put my head under the water you can be assured I would not be happy. (Same with the fish) By holding your rod upside down with rod tip in the water the fish normally will slowly and quietly (within reason) come in without much fuss.
-
#2 Whenever targeting large species of fish the rod becomes a flexible lever. We never reel the fish in; we PULL the fish in. The reel is only used to recover slack line. Pull-up, reel-down. Now combine #1 with #2 and by George, you've got it!
-
(See Photo)
Nice lil 7lb Female Steelhead along with my Elmer Fud Hat. Whirrs that cwazy wabbit!
-
Winter Lyes:
Mistake some anglers are doing presently.
Stick with 2-5 feet rippled water or the heat combined with a current break.
Wait for Winter to fish the deep'r, slooower moving water.
-
From the Mail Bag:
Time Out's:
Randy'
Thanks for the great trip. We have been steelhead fisherman for a number of years, and I might add with some success, but on wednesday we were students. Thanks for not giving us a time out!
John and Archie
-
Multiple choice:
Time outs are something I "suggest" to all my clients when they:
1. Act up or miss behave, but are to old to spank.
2. Don't listen to me. (After I have "politely" "repeatedly" explained the same thing 20 times over and they continue to not get it) (You know who you are, Wink
3. Casting into the trees on the far bank more than once, after I've explained that most of the time you'll catch more fish if your in the water.
4. Get snagged on the same rock 5 cast's in a row when its 20 below zero and I have to re-tie all those knots.
5. Put the reels in the water when it's below freezing, causing everything to freeze up rock solid and become totally non-functional.
6. While reaching out to chip the ice out of the guides they break the tip off my $500 rod. Making my 2 piece into a 3 piece Smile
7. When stopping on the trail to re-tie their shoe laces and they set the rod down and break the tip off my $500 rod Smile
8. While battling a Salmon they put their hand above the cork and explode my $500 rod Smile
9. All of the above Smile
Countless people have been guided by me and most have gone on to live normal lives.
-
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
-
-
Steelhead Salmon River Pulaski NY Fishing Report Guide Salmon River NY:
Presently the water level is at 335 cfs. Lot's of steelhead around top to bottom of river.
-
Oct. 26 - Water level is at 900 cfs w/ a lil Brook and Stream impute. More rain in the forecast from Sat. thru Wed. - Thurs. With the present uncertainty of the storm tracking this away, the forecast is uncertain presently on the amount we might receive. Maybe a Nor-East'a? I'd guess they will keep this current flow for now, but raise it even more shortly, depending. Heard the reservoirs came up 4-5 feet after some of the rain we recieved last coupl'a weeks. The level in the Lake Ontario is down also. With the coming rain and if the storm hits us, expect a ton of leaves and both reservoirs filling up comfortably w/ continued great water flow's.
Few old and moldy Salmon still around w/ an occasional freshy. Most of the river has that old moldy dead Salmon smell. P-U! This higher flow should fresh'n the breeze a lot!
All is great on the Steelhead front. Lot's around. While in the drift boat I checked out one of many area's where the fish hold during the middle of the day. (Transitional holding) It's length is approx. 1/8 mile long. From the head of the hole - run, it was LOADED! All I could see were SOLID Steelhead packed tightly together. As I drifted this section, it was 1 here, then 3, then 6, then 2 then 8 then more and more and more for an approx. 1/8 mile stretch. This particular area is what I use to gauge the pulse and or barometer of #'s of whats moving in the river, etc.. The very next day off the boat I noticed all new Steelhead w/ the same numbers. At least 100 Chrom'rs each day (in this one area) filtering up the river, spreading out. PLUS, all the rest of them in all the normal spots for this time of year, water level, life cycle, etc.... Steelhead average 8-12 lb's. Some honka's I saw were those 16, 18, 20lb'rs! Yesterday, every single chrome hold'n spot I could see, had a few to many! Ye-Haa!
-
All Fall Steelhead water is holding, top to bottom.
Lil Tip: 2-5 feet of rippled water or the heat combined with a current break. Gaurrenteed!
Common mistake: Some anglers Ive noticed recently are fishing the Winter lyes, with poor results. (More on this subject later, so stop back)
-
The lower river is producing 10-20 hook-ups (2 anglers) on Chrome almost everyday, as reported by a guide friend of mine. The Estuary has a bunch thru out and the anglers are doing well down there. The river has Steelhead top to bottom w/ more entering the system daily. The U.F.Z. has a few presently and expect more arriving daily. I normally dont target Chrome up there until mid-Nov.
A freind has been hitting them reeeel good in the middle river while spey casting.
My last trip:
In the first hour of the morning w/ 1 guest, he had already tied into 4 steelhead. Lets try this new normally productive pocket, first drift, fish on! (#5) New spot, see those Steelhead? Fish on and on! (#6 and #7) - Ye-Haa!!
-
There really is no bad place to fish, providing you have the correct habitat. There is a lot of empty water out there. Being rigged correctly for the education level of the fish and most importantly, presentation, will find you on your way to FISH ON!!
-
Presently, these Metal heads are on FIRE!
Torpedo - Bullet run's, water spraying off there backs, changing direction in a blink of an eye, keeping you on your toes and hopefully not on your back!
Running up and down the river to keep up w/ them is the norm.
Tarpon jump's, 3-4 feet in the air. Sometimes somersaulting like a jugglers baton before splash down, sounding like a cinder block w/ water splashing 20 feet in all directions.
Tails walk's for 20-40 feet will last in your memory for a lifetime. Dam, I love this job!
-
Lil Tip:
Set your drags light and dont rush the landing. Most fish are lost in the first 5-10 seconds or at the net.
I always tell my guest's that its a lil nicer to still have the fish on after the initial hook-up, speeding bullet run's and jumps. You can always tight'n your drag after this ball of wrecking energy subsides a lil. Always expect a few more bullet run's as you get ready to land it. Dont force the fish when landing it. Another very normal mistake. Adreniline and excitment causes many fish to be lost, understandably so. Smile
-
Next weeks archived Tips, Pic's and Ramblings will be on - Whats the best way (guide secret's) to fight your Steelhead?:
This one may surprise you, so stop back Smile
-
Brown Trout:
The Browns are starting to move to that special rock w/ more daily thru the month of Nov.
-
More Tips and Ramblings for Today:
Length of time any fish will hold (current break) while in transition is determined by:
(Varibles do apply)
-
The #1 determining factor in the length of time any fish will hold in a current break is determined by the quality of the current break.
-
What it had to go thru to get there. A great place to fish to any fish that are in a transitional stage would be above shallow rapids combined with a hole at the top.
They all want to rest after all the energy used up to run these rapids.
A hole is comprised of numerous current breaks:
1. The head of the hole at the drop.
2. The hole within the hole (this is like a magnet and also where many fish will hold thru out the Winter, hint-hint Smile
3. The tail of the hole where the water moves slower.
4. Any boulder's in the hole that break the current flow.
5. The seam's of the hole. (Where the fast water meets the slow water)
-
Rapids:
These are all comprised of small and large pockets that the fish will normally rest-hold in as they navigate there way up river. Normally, they are only in here for a short period of time. As they have one thing on there mind, to find a quality current break where they can be safer, hold and rest comfortably for a longer period of time, sometimes all Winter in the case of Steelhead. Many times I've guided these pockets for Steelhead. Hitting one shortly, then the next, for normally unpressured uneducated Metal. Checking to see if anyone is at home that wants to play. It's a fun way to cover a large area of rapids and is often over looked by the average angler. Kind'a like'a box'a chocolates, never know Smile
-
Big - Small Surface and Sub-Surface Boulders in a run:
If they are on the path that the fish are taking, normally they will hang out here. These can be seen visually but also sub-surface, none visual rocks. By looking at the surface flow will many times tell you what is sub-surface that you cant see. Many anglers walk by the sub-surface current breaks and allows you to find unpressured uneducated fish.
-
Most fish use the current and the depth of the water to navigate the river. So any current break on this route is a prime resting, holding location that should be fished while we have fish that are in a transitional stage. We will have fish in a transitional stage all Fall, Winter into Spring. Coming and going.
(Lil tip: Normally during the middle of the Winter these transitional spot's slow down to a point where your odds are best if you stick with the prime Winter holding habitat, its what I normally try to do)
-
There is a reeeel nice article below that talk's more about current breaks, Enjoy!.
-
The determining factor in the length of time any fish will hold in the above current breaks is determined by the quality of the current break. Weather, bright sun or dark, rainy, over cast day. Angler fishing pressure. What it had to go thru to get there. Depth and speed of water. Life cycle. For Steelhead and Brown Trout, a current break combined with a food source where it feels comfortable and safe from predator's. Yup, as anglers we are considered a predator by the fish Smile Visually and Audibly.
I laughed the other day when seeing an angler dressed in bright Orange. Maybe he was trying to blend in with all the changing leaves? (har-har)
An ol'tim'r freind of mine hates useing a bright colored fly line. Say's it spook's the fish, same as bright clothing. Another guide friend use's an extra long anchor rope so he can slowly and quietly drop down to the fish. Sometimes when sight fishing to shallow, spooky educated BIG fish we fish from our knees, stalking, crouch over when approaching, stand behind a tree, etc... Trying to blend in. Similar to hunting a Deer - Turkey or sight fishing those crystal clear shallow water light colored sand flats on Monomoy Island, Cape Cod to Stripers and Blues.
-
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: