CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Falling through the ice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Falling through the ice Reply with quote

You must have a rescue plan for yourself and for others before you get out into the ice:

http://www.wrightwoodca.com/wrightwood-videos/snowplayers-fall-through-ice-at-jackson-lake-wrightwood.php

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Glad to see you posted that recent video Phil !
And your absolutely correct !

That video should be a lesson to all -> on what "NOT TO DO" Exclamation

Everyone running up to the edge of the ice up-right putting more weight on the edge causing more people to break thru. -> DOMINO EFFECT ! Shocked

Everyone may get tired of me preaching and posting ice warnings -> BUT this video says it better !

Learn from it people Exclamation
Be Safe and check ice thickness every few feet Exclamation
Have your "Safety Gear" at the ready at all times Exclamation

.........THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SAFE ICE -> EVER Exclamation

It's NOT worth risking your LIFE, on thin ice, just to catch a fish !

SeaDog1
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 70's as a youngster, I was at Burr Pond with my parents walking the trail around the pond. I decided to venture off by myself on the ice. I got to where the dock is off of the beach when I noticed a hole someone drilled for fishing. Couriosity got the best of me so I walked over to to see if I could see any fish, just as I got to it the ice just let go right under me. I fell straight down luckilly my arms went out & that stopped me from going completely under.

The whole expirience was not fun at all & I would not recomend trying it.

For that matter the last time I went ice fishing was January 18,1976 at Winchester Lake with my brother. All we did was freeze all day, and caught nothing at all. Even the shiners were frozen when we reeled in our tip ups! We built a fire in the woods & I watched my boots actually catch on fire & still couldn't feel my feet!

So with that said I came up with a saying... "When the lakes & ponds freeze over, that's GOD telling you fishing season is OVER, you wait till springtime now."

John.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in maine crossing ice while hunting and fishing you find all kinds of ice from feet thick to scim ice covered with snow.

tricks ive learned.....
When crossing ice dont group up walk in a line 10 yards apart ..never carry your gear when you can sled it behind you.
at least 1 member of party should have a length of rope, the longer the better w/ a D-ring,
never walk throw snow piles when you can go around them,
allways keep a bag of cloths in car for a change out if worst happens w/ a thermos of warm drink,
a 6 foot long walk stix could save your life
1.) it could stop you from a drop through if ice breaks
2.) it will help support your body by speading weight across opening if it happens (the longer your in the less you can swim)
If the ice dose start to break lay down spead your weight out with your walk stix under you and crawl till ice feels safe or have a party member toss you a rope and drag you clear of thin area .

but most of all common sence and gut feelings will save you if it feels unsafe or looks iffy dont push your luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tips NWD. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: