CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: Visiting CT need steelhead advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Visiting CT need steelhead advice Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I will be visiting Stamford, Greenwich area at the end of April. I am from Canada and regularly visit the area but never fished there. Can anyone give me some info on rivers to flyfish for steelhead. I prefer shallow rivers I can wade and drift a wet fly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigg...
First off there aren't any steelhead in CT. You would have to go to the Salmon River in NY from Altmar to Pulaski. My wife & I have been fishing there for years & it's a real blast. Biggest to date is 17lbs. 36 inches.

The closest thing to steelhead in CT is the "Broodstock Atlantic Salmon" program where to state stocks the Naugatuck River & the Shetucket River with them and has a varied season for them.
I hope this helps your quest.

John.
Tigg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No steelhead? I read there are steelhead runs in Mill River, Quinnipiac River and the West River. Is the Salmon River a great lakes tributary?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JC mentioned, no steelhead in CT. You will find some really good spring fly fishing for browns and bows in the West Farmington and Housatonic Rivers which are not a long drive north of where you will be. I live on the Quinnipiac. If there were steelies I wouldn't be driving to upstate NY all the time. Very Happy the Salmon R in NY runs into Lake Ontario. The Salmon R in Ct is completely different, and has some decent trout for the central/eastern part of the state. From where you will be, I would suggest doing a bit of research on the first 2 I mentioned. You can get in some really good trout fishing.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Tigg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I will look into the trout fishing. If you are ever in my area ask me for any advice on where to go for some great steelhead fishing. I fish the 9 mile river in Port Albert. a lake huron tributary. It is a small river with steelies running into the 36" range.
Good luck on the water!

Nice fish Redneck!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 local shops for the Housie and West Farmington. Both good for info and worth stopping in as they are close to the best fishing and helpful.

Housatonic River Outfitters
24 Kent Rd, Cornwall, CT
(860) 672-1010 ‎ · dryflies.com

UpCountry Sportfishing
352 Main Street, New Hartford, CT
(860) 379-1952 ‎ · farmingtonriver.com

Housie also has some really good smallmouth action.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Tigg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will try to visit these stores. I hope to be paying a visit the last weekend in April.
billysenko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thwrw are no steelhead in Ct. Only salmon as said on the other reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: