CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Jamaica fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiehug20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Jamaica fishing Reply with quote

I am going to Jamaica in early Feb. and am trying to plan a fishing trip. I have heard that the in shore / off shore fishing in Jamaica isnt the best. Does anyone have any experience fishing on or around this island? I really wanted to go tarpin fishing...
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to the Caribbean but would imagine that in February tarpon, sailfish, and marlin would be running.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you flying or cruising?
tiehug20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am flying down. Staying for 5 days.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't fish when i was there but i spent a lot of time in the water. Look for some frozen cuttlefish at a local market or bait shop... they were all over the place out there. if you have trouble shopping out a charter before you head down there let me know, i'll gladly do some surfing for you.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is just googling "Jamaica fishing charters." Find some boats and start doing some research. Narrow down a list and call the Captains.

From an old posting:
Quote:

Good point about the captains. I look for a few things when going out w/ new boats.
1) Captain is knowledgable but listens to what you are interested in and works to put together a plan and does a good job of explaining the strategy. I look to learn from these guys every time I go out. Listen to them. You are paying for their expertise.

2) Like being out there and get pumped when clients catch big fish. Some of the best guys I've gone out with share knowledge, tell great stories, and will tell you that the biggest rush for them is hooking people up with the target species. 4-10 hours on a boat with a guy that acts like he's having about as much fun as working a production line makes for a long trip.

3) Thinks "out of the box" and will change up the game plan on a slow day. Sometimes the fish don't seem to bite but a good captain will at least try a bit of everything. There are days when everyone gets skunked, but you know when a guy has busted his ass trying to get you on the fish, and that's a guy I will fish with again.

4) Big for me - wants to preserve the sport. Is ethical in methods and works to preserve the stocks. Believe it or not, I hate to eat fish, so I catch and release unless I want a few fillets for friends. Perhaps my coolest fishing moment was at the end of landing my one and only marlin, brought it to the side of the boat to snap a few pics, and then cut it loose.

Avoid guys who don't want to answer many questions, are "weekend" captains, can't provide proper licensing, etc. again, the Internet can be a really good tool if you don't have some first hand feedback. Hope you have a great trip!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: