CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Black Pond/Black Rock State Park/General Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Black Pond/Black Rock State Park/General Questions Reply with quote

I went by Black Pond in Meriden today, it was locked up but I didn't have my spud with me so I couldn't check the ice thickness. No one else was around but I saw some footprints so someone had the same idea. I didn't bring any gear because I still have to buy my license and I know better than to fish alone. Well, tomorrow's payday, I'm going to try to sneak out of work and go back to Black if anyone is interested.
I want to get out Sunday as well, I was thinking Black Rock (I chose these two bodies of water because I try to focus on trout).
Questions: how exhausting is it to dig about sic holes with a spud through 6 inch ice? In the past I always went with a buddy who had an auger and I'm too cheap to shell out for even a hand auger.

I also have never jigged, always used tip-ups. I don't want to spend $10 on a funny little rod/reel. Do you think that the lower half of an ultralight two-piece freshwater rod would work in a pinch? I'm not into all the fancy equipment.

Any suggestions would be great and PM me if you want to hit Black Rock, Black Pond, or any Central-ish trout waters this Sunday. Thanks!!!!!!!!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah ! I've used the upper portion of an ultra-light rod.that had a broken butt section.

Cut the rod to a lenght you feel is right then drill a hole, in a wooden dowel, slightly larger then the rod butt end.
Insert then glue it in.
You can then electrical tape a reel to the dowel handle.

Least you'll get a second life out of a broken rod ! Very Happy

SeaDog1
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more like the bottom half. The half with the handle and reel already on there with one large eye on the end. I know it would be really stiff, but who cares right? that way I can still use the two piece come spring.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Rock Lake is currently closed. Gates were up and said season closed. Black Rock Pond is open til the last day of February.

Don't know why gates were closed and it said season closed at the entrance to Black Rock Lake.
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a seasonal campground there, which is closed. There is a second parking area a little further down the road.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info RBF
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, we saw 2 entrances going downhill right near each other but both gates were closed. Is there a third entrance after the first 2?
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I'm talking about Black Rock Pond the two entrances are off of Thomaston-Watertown Road. The first entrance leads to the campground in the back, or up to the beach and pond to the left (which is sometimes closed to motor vehicles, but you can park at the bottom and walk up). The second entrance is 50-100 yards down the road and lets you fish across from the beach. I have never fished Black Rock Lake, I got lost looking for it. The Pond is a designated Trout Park.
fishville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Rock Lake is Army Corp property off Rt. 109 heading towards Morris. They close the gates at the start of hunting season making it walk in only. Black Rock pond is state property along Rt 6. The gates to the beach area in the park and gates to parking lot on Bidwell Hill Rd are usually both closed in winter. Most people park along Bidwell Hill Rd to fish.

If you fish BRP you should be able to spud open old holes. It gets drilled like swiss cheese.

Just use your shortest rod to jig, using half a rod is more of a headache then it is worth.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishville wrote:
Black Rock Lake is Army Corp property off Rt. 109 heading towards Morris. They close the gates at the start of hunting season making it walk in only. Black Rock pond is state property along Rt 6. The gates to the beach area in the park and gates to parking lot on Bidwell Hill Rd are usually both closed in winter. Most people park along Bidwell Hill Rd to fish.

If you fish BRP you should be able to spud open old holes. It gets drilled like swiss cheese.

Just use your shortest rod to jig, using half a rod is more of a headache then it is worth.

Thanks for straightening things out
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise fishville, I'll post some pics.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Black Pond/Black Rock State Park/General Questions Reply with quote

Rather B. Fishin wrote:
I don't want to spend $10 on a funny little rod/reel. Do you think that the lower half of an ultralight two-piece freshwater rod would work in a pinch? I'm not into all the fancy equipment.

Well, a seven foot long drop shot rod works:

Link

The fish don't care what you use. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work a quarter of a mile from the park and it was stocked pretty heavy in the Fall and I didn't see many people fishing it so I would think there are a good number of trout in there, good luck I'm more into crappy and perch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: