CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: OFF SEASON FUEL STORAGE?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: OFF SEASON FUEL STORAGE? Reply with quote

Before you guys start screaming I am rushing the season; in about two and a half weeks my fishing season is just about over. As soon as I climb aboard that big yellow school bus with the exception of a few trips here and there I am done for the season. In previous years I have just topped off my tank and added staybil for the winter; this means that although I keep adding fresh gas to the tank some of what is in there might be as much as two years old. My thought is to start running the tank dry so as to have very little in it over the winter (still adding the staybil though). Just wondering what the rest of you guys do? thanks cmorjoe
snakebite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run the tank dry and then add stabil and also run stabil and fogging oil through the engine too

snakebite
dave_376

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop using stabil and start using startron....use it in any motor that isnt used daily, lawn mower, motorcycle, generator, and especially in your boat. this stuff is made for use with e10 you can get it at any boat supply place
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: STARTON? Reply with quote

Bear with me and take into consideration I am getting up there in years but WHAT THE HECK IS STARTON! cmorjoe
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like it's another Stabil-type of product but designed more for today's gasoline!

There are two camps regarding whether to store your tank of gas low or high..
1) If you store it full, then there is more "old" gas to use up next season, but there is less air space on top...
2) If you store it near empty,..then there is very little old stuff to worry about in the spring,..but the large air-space above the gas can hold a lot of mositure that will condense into your gas when it gets real cold!

Personally, I've just always doubled up on the Stabil without worrying about the level in the tank,..fogged the engine,..changed the lower unit oil and then relaxed with an adult beverage until next season! Laughing
I never have had a problem yet,..however to be honest, my boat is usually the last one out of the water in winter and the first one back in as soon as the water gets soft again,..so I'm sure it doesn't sit around as long as some others!
(I do try and run it a lot to use up the old gas ASAP in Spring,..but that's about as far as I go!)
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Mark! I do just the same except I'm not out as long in to the season as he is. I'm not THAT crazy! Wink Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: