CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Comparing 2 Surf Rods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Comparing 2 Surf Rods Reply with quote

2 surf rods I'm trying to compare are the Sea Striker Beach Runner 7' 6" and Daiwa Emcast 7'.

Both are able to cast with the lighter balsa lures I use and can handle 10 pound mono line. The heaviest lures I cast with when going after smaller fish are just over 1 ounce.

A few features and specs I'm looking for are sensitivity for feeling the fish strike, short rear grip, strong material, lightweight, and casting.

I've made up my mind that I'm not gonna bother with braid. 2 monos I now use for surf fishing that give me good casting and sensitivity are Suffix Siege and Suffix Tritanium.

But as for the 2 rods, which one do you surf fishermen feel I'm better off with?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the bit of extra length. I've got several 7 ft daiwa rods on my boat, but for the beach, even light lures, I like the extra 6"-1'. I was thinking about doing some ultra light Striper fishing on an 11' noodle rod. 2lb. IGFA record is about 22lbs. Ande IGFA line and unweighted Zoom Flukes. Probably be losing lots of gear Very Happy
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
I'd go with the bit of extra length. I've got several 7 ft daiwa rods on my boat, but for the beach, even light lures, I like the extra 6"-1'. I was thinking about doing some ultra light Striper fishing on an 11' noodle rod. 2lb. IGFA record is about 22lbs. Ande IGFA line and unweighted Zoom Flukes. Probably be losing lots of gear Very Happy

So I guess what you're saying is instead of the 7 foot Daiwa, go with the extra 6 inches on the Beach Runner so I can get the features I'm looking for.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 other I was considering is the 7 foot St Croix Mojo ML
Dantheman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to love suffix but the line sucks. Color wears out after a few times fishing and turns that really light color. It's at this point I notice the line always seems to break down.Sad
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why you don't want a longer rod? I use 7 footers a lot, but whenever casting distance is crucial I use 8' or longer. They are a little more money but I love my 8' St Croix Tidemasters.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltyVeins wrote:
Is there a reason why you don't want a longer rod? I use 7 footers a lot, but whenever casting distance is crucial I use 8' or longer. They are a little more money but I love my 8' St Croix Tidemasters.

I have an 8 footer as a basic surf rod. The 7 footers are because of casting lighter lures and using it as a schoolie setup. Have a 7 foot travel rod for local surf fishing. Have a 6' 9" saltwater boat rod for the kayak. Now looking for a surf rod around the 7 foot range for when I go with buddies.

Schoolie Setup means taylor blues, sea robins, stripers no bigger than 25", and fluke no bigger than 20". Lures are as light as 3/8 ounce and as heavy as 7/8 ounce.

Basic Surf Setup means keeper stripers and blues ranging from 8 to 15 pounds. Lures range from specially weighted 1/2 ounce plugs to heavy 3 ounce topwaters.

Last edited by Michael on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
SaltyVeins wrote:

I have an 8 footer as a basic surf rod. The 7 footers are because of casting lighter lures and using it as a schoolie setup. Have a 7 foot travel rod for local surf fishing. Have a 6' 9" saltwater boat rod for the kayak. Now looking for a surf rod around the 7 foot range for when I go with buddies.

Schoolie Setup means taylor blues, sea robins, stripers no bigger than 25", and fluke no bigger than 20". Lures are as light as 3/8 ounce.

Basic Surf Setup means keeper stripers and blues ranging from 8 to 15 pounds. Lures range from specially weighted 1/2 ounce plugs to heavy 3 ounce topwaters.

I just looked at the St Croix Tidemaster 8 footer. Lure weight only goes up to 3/4 ounce while I also use 8cm Rapalas that weigh 7/8 ounce.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltyVeins wrote:

One issue I have, as for casting ability, it using my short arms while casting. Rear grip can't be any longer than 12 inches, otherwise I'll have issues casting with the rod and the butt tip will keep hitting my belly.

Do you know of any 8 footers out there that would suit me for medium light action surf fishing and having the short arms?
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A surf fisherman from MA told me to consider a G Loomis Classic Live Bait Series LR842s. Looked at it on the G Loomis website and looks to me like an excellent rod for all the quality and features I'm looking for.

Now thinking about trying to find a good deal for one online.
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are tons of options out there that would fit the bill. If you don't want the butt of the rod to be too long, then I'd say avoid surf style rods since they usually have longer butts. Don't know anything about any of the rods you brought up though. Been using Premiers and Tidemasters for my light tackle setups with no complaints.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting to hear back from RNA to see if the price of the Temple Fork Outfitters Garry Loomis Signature Series TFG SWS765 will have the quality features of the G. Loomis LR842.

Been reading great reviews about G. Loomis rods ever since the MA surf angler mentioned it.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed that I just ordered an SWS765
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: