CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing Season 2013 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Ice Fishing Season 2013 Reply with quote

Hi,

Well ... Since being trapped at home by the snow -> I've been reading on many Ct. fishing forms the fustration of many old hands on ice fishing.

The general consensus, by the majority of seasoned older ice fishermen, is that with this blizzard -> This years ice season is pretty much over with ! Shocked

Too much heavy snow - Warmer temps (and more coming) - Slush under the snow - Rain - Serious inability to detect thin or weakened ice !

Plus ice fishing should be "FUN !" ......... "NOT WORK or STRUGGLING ONTO ICE" to catch a stupid fish Exclamation

Present conditions require a much more "MANDATORY" effort on Safety !

My personal opinion is -> " When Ice Fishing Becomes More Work then Fun !" ....Then ....

Bring on the Sunshine - Higher temps - And Open Water Exclamation

This year's ice season, with wild Wx swings, late cold, bitter cold + winds, and for many slow fishing -> SUCKS Exclamation

Even some of the regular professional Ct. fishing guides have come to this conclusion and made clear posts .... that they have thrown in the towel !

When these dedicated pros (using common sense) call it quits -> IT'S OVER Exclamation

SeaDog1 Crying or Very sad

Oh! Shocked -> I'm absolutely sure there will be the "John Belusi's" that will say "It's Not Over" and that the German's bombed Pearl Harbor Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:08 am; edited 2 times in total
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog your right it is definately alot of work just to go ice fishing but i think i am going to go somewhere NW that has good solid ice and only like 1-2 feet of snow Rolling Eyes still alot of snow but better than 3 feet down here in central ct and that will be on the last weekend in february. This spot had 8-11 inches of good black ice before the storm so i am not worried but it sure will be sloppy fishing! Laughing Laughing
fishville

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not throwing in the towel yet. But I'm not gonna wade through knee to waist deep snow either. I will burn gas looking on the chance that someplace the wind cleaned is fishable and has parking. Now that I said that my chances might be better buying a powerball ticket.
androux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh! Shocked -> I'm absolutely sure there will be the "John Belusi's" that will say "It's Not Over" and that the German's bombed Pearl Harbor Rolling Eyes

Sure, I suppose. Have fun sitting inside for the next 4 weeks hoping open water will come. Even if it does, I'd still rather be jigging a hole then throwing a spinning rod in 30-40 degree temps for the bulk of March.

March on, trudge on, catch fish or move to Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be fishing till early march so i will have fun being the only one out!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

androux wrote:
Quote:

Sure, I suppose. Have fun sitting inside for the next 4 weeks hoping open water will come. Even if it does, I'd still rather be jigging a hole then throwing a spinning rod in 30-40 degree temps for the bulk of March.

March on, trudge on, catch fish or move to Florida.

Hi,

Not moving to Florida !

I am though going down soon to Costa Rica for a few days to visit a classmate of mine who owns a small plantation there !
Will be fishing the Gulf of Mexico, drinking some rum, enjoying some sunshine, and dressing like your avatar .... less make-up ! Very Happy Thumbs Up

-------------------------------------------------
How I plan to die ..... Wife dead, sold everything, bought 60 ft. motor-sailor, off to South Pacific, find island with lots of pretty naked women, die a very happy Salty Old SeaDog Exclamation -> Now that's a plan ! Very Happy

My butt will be RED from sunburn ..... Not Frostbite Razz

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, well I'm going to try to get another weekend of icefishing in, hopefully, its only feb 11 though, we could just as easily get 2 really cold weeks, its not looking great but who knows Very Happy
Beau

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seadog, New to the forum. Just thinking wife's thoughts . . . Seadog dead, keep everything, find young man with 60 foot motor sailor, the end.
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ^
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beau wrote:
Hey Seadog, New to the forum. Just thinking wife's thoughts . . . Seadog dead, keep everything, find young man with 60 foot motor sailor, the end.

Hi Beau,

Nah ! ... She's totally afraid of the water !
She's an excutive in the insurance industry.
More like -. SeaDog dead, collect big Life Insurance bundle, go to Disney World, move back to Indiana !

Actually a fine woman and great wife -> Let's me fish and hunt all I want with no complaints !
Marriage based on a tremendous amount of TRUST Exclamation
Going on 27 years and I never broke my marriage vows ! ...Proud of that Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Beau wrote:

Hi Beau,

Nah ! ... She's totally afraid of the water !
She's an excutive in the insurance industry.
More like -. SeaDog dead, collect big Life Insurance bundle, go to Disney World, move back to Indiana !

Actually a fine woman and great wife -> Let's me fish and hunt all I want with no complaints !
Marriage based on a tremendous amount of TRUST Exclamation
Going on 27 years and I never broke my marriage vows ! ...Proud of that Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Happy to hear you're not one of those stupid men who falls for it and spoils the wife Laughing
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Nah ! .... Actually she spoils me + the male cat and dog !
Her "Boys" as she likes to call us.

You just don't want to get that part Cherokee Indian in her rilled -> Then it's a Captain/cat/dog looking for a bomb shelter to hide in !

Sweet "LADY", but not when she gets angry ! Shocked
Wouldn't want her any other way ! Very Happy

Anyway -> Per the subject -> Read a number of posts on the internet today, that guys are finding ice at some waters around Ct. to be real sketchy due to the snow storm.

Be Careful - Stay Safe,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
I am though going down soon to Costa Rica for a few days to visit a classmate of mine who owns a small plantation there !
Will be fishing the Gulf of Mexico, drinking some rum, enjoying some sunshine, and dressing like your avatar .... less make-up ! Very Happy Thumbs Up

That beats the hell out of ice fishing! Costa Rico or Belize are on my fishing bucket list. Enjoy Very Happy
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
SeaDog1 wrote:

That beats the hell out of ice fishing! Costa Rico or Belize are on my fishing bucket list. Enjoy Very Happy
I personally LOVE icefishing and wish the season was twice as long, I actually get a little bummed when it's all said and done with Very Happy, but on the bright side, ice out giant largemouths and CTR smallies usually get fired up! -Dan
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[[/quote] I personally LOVE icefishing and wish the season was twice as long, I actually get a little bummed when it's all said and done with Very Happy, but on the bright side, ice out giant largemouths and CTR smallies usually get fired up! -Dan[/quote]

Hey pp1,

"I Love Ice Fishing also" .....But twice as long....NO-NO-NO !

Enough with Winter !
Enough of the cold wild Wx + wind !
Enough of Snow !

Season twice as long Rolling Eyes -> Please pay me for the following and you can have your 2x season ! Laughing

Enough with high heating costs !
Enough with high electricity costs !
Enough with high gasoline costs !
Enough with high food costs + Beer and Booze ! Laughing

AND -> Enough with reading all the posts from bleeding hearts / whinners, about No ice to fish on and having to travel long distances to do so Exclamation

Just plain Enough !

HISTORIC FACT ! -> Ice fishing started in the Dark-Ages by the peasantry to supplement their meger food supply with fish protein .

It's a "Historic Fact" that ice fishing is "Poor Man's Fishing" -> Walking on ice to get out to deeper waters where fish could be caught so that they could eat and not starve to death .
Also because they didn't have boats to get to productive waters or where restricted to shore fishing and no modern fishing gear.
Only in the late 19th Century did ice fishing begin to be popular as a winter past time.

As I said -> "I Love Ice Fishing" Exclamation .....But I'm not going to get fanatic about it as some do !

I do hope we get some additional cold Wx so that the season lasts a bit longer! -> Least before I head south to Costa Rica -> When I get back ... all I want to see is Open Water so I can use my boat ! Very Happy

Oh! And pp1 -> Your always welcome to come on my boat ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: