CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Rigging Slug-Gos for River Schoolies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Rigging Slug-Gos for River Schoolies Reply with quote

How do YOU rig Slug-Gos for fishing schoolie stripers in a river? The thing that has me puzzled is how to get enough weight on it to get it down to the bottom through the current, while still keeping a streamlined presentation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Owner weighted twistlock swimbait hooks when I use super flukes of Keitech shad impact's in deeper water. I assume they would work with the slug-gos too.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rigging Slug-Gos for River Schoolies Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
How do YOU rig Slug-Gos for fishing schoolie stripers in a river? The thing that has me puzzled is how to get enough weight on it to get it down to the bottom through the current, while still keeping a streamlined presentation.

Hi Phil,

FYI:
Your post interested me as I use some much smaller versions on the rivers for trout and occasional smallies.

I Googled up "Weighted Slug-Go" and there was a number of articles on how to rig them.
Probably worth a look and see what might work for you !

Best regards,
SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me clarify the question. Rolling Eyes Please reply if:

1) You actually use Slug-gos to fish for schoolie stripers in a river;

2) You have some experience with them that might be helpful; and

3) You don't mind sharing your experience with me.

Stephen - Gee, thanks for sharing the wonderment and joy that your discovery of Google has brought you. You might find Bing and Yahoo! to be a lot of fun, too. And thanks for not postiing any cartoons in your reply. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

FYI:
I already use Google, Bing, Yahoo, Copernic, + 3 other search engines, and try to cross-reference through all of them.

Never know which one just may have the answer your looking for Thumbs Up Laughing

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me clarify the question, again. Please reply if:

1) You actually use Slug-gos to fish for schoolie stripers in a river;

2) You have some experience with them that might be helpful;

3) You don't mind sharing your experience with me; and

4) You're not SeaDog1 (aka Stephen). Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see. Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Some pics of rigged sluggos, Hogy's and 9" Fin-S type shads. This is but the tip of the iceberg! Mostly pearl during the day, but I carry pink, yellow, chartreuse and some hard swim baits like Sebelles. Typically fish 7-9" soft plastics, especially for top water, but sometimes bigger if I've got some big slobs showing up or trolling deeper. At night I switch to the purples. Love the Yum Houdini Shads. FF3 carries them. I fish almost all stripers from April-November. We can meet up on the river if you want. Come April we won't be messing with all schoolies. Very Happy

Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice assortment RNA. I pretty much use them unweighted or exactly like the 4th one down.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unweighted or using weighted EWGs is definitely my favorite way to fish sluggos - just love the action you can impart on them that way. When I have to fish them on jigheads I like Kalin's ultimate jig heads. Good strong hook and I like the way they balance.

Every try drop shotting for those schoolies? Should be able to use a decent sized weight, then you could even just dead stick the sluggo. Worth a shot. The only winter river fishing I've done is from shore so I've never tried.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the herring get moving up river I'm looking for that good topwater bite. Fish the magic hour at dawn or dusk. Then the 7" with an unweighted Owner or those Gamakatsu hook is the way to go. You'll get plenty of casting distance with a MH 7' or 7'-6" rod. The only reason for the weighted is if you want to send it down quick to fish the bottom with the big bullet heads, or have the ability to sink it slowly with the weighted hooks.

Quote:
Every try drop shotting for those schoolies? Should be able to use a decent sized weight, then you could even just dead stick the sluggo. Worth a shot.

This time of year through early March I basically dead stick the Zoom Flukes on a light Kalin's lead head. Just drop it down through the fish and let it sit. Maybe a twitch here or there if theres no current. Schoolies pick it right up.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks, Brian. Would an unweighted six inch Slug-Go rigged with an EWG hook sink to the bottom in 30 feet of water quickly enough to be practical to fish? Wouldn't I have to stick lead nail weights into the Slug-Go to make it heavy enough? Keep in mind that I'm fishing only for schoolie stripers on or near the bottom in 20 to 45 feet of water, right now, and I'd prefer to keep my lures as streamlined as possible, which means that I'd like to keep the shank of the hook completely inside the Slug-Go with only the tip of the hook exposed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RNA,

Thamks for your Slug-Go rigging ideas.

I've been looking for a away to bump along the bottom a mini/micro version of a Slug-Go (Sculpin for river Browns) using a fly rod rig.
You've given me some excellent ideas with pics to work off.
Now it's a matter of my figuring out how to down size with right hook and not lose any lure action.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine an unweighted sluggo could ever be fished that deep. Even weighted EWGs just tend to help increase casting distance and help keep the lure subsurface during the retrieve. Never used nail weights but I doubt they'd be enough to get you that deep, unless you were really patient and the current was nonexistent.

Last edited by SaltyVeins on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltyVeins wrote:
Can't imagine an unweighted sluggo could every be fished that deep. Even weighted EWGs just tend to help increase casting distance and help keep the lure subsurface during the retrieve. Never used nail weights but I doubt they'd be enough to get you that deep, unless you were really patient and the current was nonexistent.

SV speaks the truth. What you were fishing w/ (the jig head and white/pearl body, Zoom Fluke type bait) is the way to go for these schoolies. I like the Kalin's 3/8 or 1/2 oz. lead jigs. The flukes are light and will flutter down to the bottom like dying bait. Save the bigger stuff for later. Nothing beats swimming a sluggo across the top and watching 3' bass whack it around in the spring. Had days with schools of bass in the low to mid 30"s that would slam sluggos as fast as you could throw them out.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rigging Slug-Gos for River Schoolies Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

PECo
I think sluggos are too valuable to use when any jig head with any of a variety of soft plastics will get to 30' quickly. I don't fish deep water much but have had good luck with "sluggers" on small and large fish. BTW the large fish I mention are caught on 7"... I don't have any 9"

That being said, the weighted hooks with the led molded onto the hook as RNA's top 3 pic's illustrate is the most weight I will ever use. They are very effective that way. Fishing them from shore I will cast 45 degrees up current and let it drift with slack line to let it sink freely. Eventually it will hit bottom and then I work it with a slow slow retrieve. Sometimes letting it sit and occasional twitching. I usually fish the eelskin color at night. Schoolie fishing in daylight is different I'm sure, but this method preserves some of the unique action slugs were designed have. Has to be trial and error to discover if current, weight and depth are all within a range that will allow a drift of reasonable duration that covers enough ground before you plane up from the current. It does not always work.
I like the 7" as they seem to hold bottom better in current as they have less surface area than the 9" given the same amount of extra weight. I always try to imagine a slug go slithering along the bottom... If I can't get that action I'd rather fish a buck tail.
GL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: