CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Blizzard of 78
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Blizzard of 78 Reply with quote

Just a few days ago was the 35th anniversary of the Blizzard of 78 and now we have Nemo or Snowmageddon.

How many of you have recaps and memories of the conditions 35 years ago? Where were you? How long were you out of school? How long were you stuck in another city or state?

My dad was a student at Providence College at the time and my mom went to visit him. She was stuck in Providence for a week.

My dad's youngest brother was out of school for about a week and a half.
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 5. I lived in Port Chester, NY. It was crazy. My parents were not happy but I had front end loader outside our house and told the guy to dump the snow in front of my house. With only street parking my parent's were not very happy, but how many kids can say they had their own mountain? Well at least till it melted. I got mad when kids climbed on it.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ah ! ... The Blizzard of "78" -> Remember it well !

I was Chief Mate on the Oceanogrphic Vessel Endeavor for URI.
Stuck in St. Thomas VI with a broken engine for 10 days.
Called my Dad to see how they where doing.
Said the National Guard was, just then in front of the house, digging them out.
Told him me and some guys where headed for Sharkey's Bar for a cold one because it was 90 F and very humid !

1st time I ever heard my Dad swear at me a blue streak (and he never swore) ! Shocked

Oh ! ... How I miss sailing south to the islands for the winter ! Very Happy Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents back yard was a hill that was connected to 2 other back yards and my older brother and sister and their friends dug paths that connected all the way down and we would sled down but they were tall and you couldnt see while sledding so it was like a demolition derby if everyone was going the same spped. My brother ended up splitting his chin wide open in a crash!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: