CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: THICK ICE!!!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: THICK ICE!!!!! Reply with quote

Went to Mount Tom today to play "The Waiting Game." From7:30- 2:00 when the rain came in.2 large Blue gill and a 14 inch pickrel while jigging a small silver. shad rap tipped with half a mealie.They wouldn't touch a whole one.Nothing on tip-ups 20 feet off shore in 15 feet of water all traps set from bottom to just below the ice.The ice......4 inches of white,watery garbage with 10-12 inches of HARD BLACK ICE.It was still making ice the whole time i was there.Perhaps i can get 1 more trip in by the end of the month.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyones crying about no ice when the ice has always been here its just there was 2 feet of snow with some water above it. At least you got something its better than sitting around the house!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three fish on Mt. Bomb, that's quite a day. I've been told there are big salmon there, but I have yet to see a recent pic of one or seen someone catch one. Last time I was there, the advice I got was to tie on 2 lb. test. "You'll loose a lot of fish, but that's all they'll hit on."

Sounds like a fun way to loose jigs.

Seems like people do a lot better in open water there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mt Tom is one of my go to places! Heard they're doing another Tournament there this weekend. I caught a 4 and a half pound Atlantic Salmon there this past spring. Always catch lots of browns when i go there. Cool to see the bald eagle flyin around there too!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

androux wrote:
Three fish on Mt. Bomb, that's quite a day. I've been told there are big salmon there, but I have yet to see a recent pic of one or seen someone catch one. Last time I was there, the advice I got was to tie on 2 lb. test. "You'll loose a lot of fish, but that's all they'll hit on."

Sounds like a fun way to loose jigs.

Seems like people do a lot better in open water there.
i saw a guy catch a 12lb salmon and 6lb salmon within like an hour in a canoe during the spring as for winter i can second that that place isnt a very productive lake.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I find it to be a great producer! Ya just have to pay attention to the barometric pressure before you go. If it's high, don't go or at least don't try to catch trout or Salmon. You also need to learn how to use the thermo climb to your advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, the thermo climb? I think I saw an infomercial late the other night for one of those.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is slower in the winter.Barometric pressure,even if it's a coincidence plays a role..Open water i have watched it drop and the fishing improved.As it went up the bite slowed.They were drastic sunny to rainy days.On overcast days it would pick up if the sun popped in and out.Unfortunately you can't cover the same amount of water during the winter.As the year progresses,so doesn't the pressure of fishermen.They become line shy and more selective on what they eat.They may move their location if a certian area or depth gets pressured.I am guessing that as the year progresses that you should down size your line diameter(ex:8-6-4) even 2.After a month and a half of no pressure and no outside food source coming in it becomes a free for all on opening day.tons of new bait comes in and all those leftovers have new stocking of fish to compete with.Some big fish are caught in the spring because if this.Those stubborn big monsters have to eat or starve.With alewives as the abundant food source there.Matching them is your best bet.By the way in Oct 2012 the DEEP put 840 fingerling 5 inch walleye in there.Just adds more competition for the trout and salmon.COME ON SPRINGTIME!!

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
androux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, avid, that's what I'm thinking. A vertical presentation, in winter, when a wary fish can really scrutinize a bait, they won't hit, unless you use 2# test and a tiny hook in ideal conditions. An ice-out scenario, with all fish in the lake, including perch, panfish and whatever holdover trout remain, going for a meal-or-broke mentality, makes it better for fisherman. Use a fast moving horizontal presentation, not giving a competitive fish much time to look at a meal, and then you up your chances at a nice sized fish.
But alewives in there? I don't know. Unless they were introduced, they didn't just wander in there. Never heard of the walleye fry, but maybe. But between the two, seems like a lot for a lake the size of a large parking lot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alewives were introduced between the closing if Bantam bait and tackle and the DEEP.This summer i was there when 10's of thousands were dumpped in.1-2 inches(small guy's)as feed for the trout and salmon.I spoke with Red Cattey who reports for the fisherman magazine.He confirmed the 840 eyes at 5 inches and said he hoped the eyes would help control the alewive population..There are some huge schools in there that i marked on my fish finder..The eyes should be catchable in a few years.Trolling cut bait behind a dodger worked very well there for me.Or a deep diving 21 ft reef runner at 2-2.5 knots.A small blue/silver cast master 1/8 to 1/4. is very productive.I also had good luck trolling a tandem maynards marvel behind a dodger.

NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about the walleye. I know they stocked several other new lakes recently too. Im glad theyre starting to introduce walleye into lakes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other lakes did Deep put walleye into? A good way to eradicate the Alwives... snakeheads! But they may eat everything....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: