CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Pequabuck River - Ever fished it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Pequabuck River - Ever fished it? Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever fished the Pequabuck? I hear it is or one time was a wild TMA. There is a portion right by my house in Plainville and I was wondering if anyone ever been there had any luck etc.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right by your house and you haven't tried it? Shame on you Rolling Eyes
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't lived here long but true. Shame on me. I'll report on it soon
Stratos17

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Bristol all my life. Well almost 35 years. When I was kid I wouldnt even go near the water. It was green and smelled nasty. About two years ago I fished it after a neighbor told me it was stocked with trout. I took an ultra light rod and a 1/16oz panther martin and caught a limit of trout in 20 minutes. Browns,brookies and rainbows....pretty sweet. I released them all. I dont eat fish. Or maybe cause its the Pequabuck. Needless to say the river has come a long long way. It seems to be a better fishery then most think. They also put those salmon in there , they have to be released

From Muzzy Field to the end of Memorial Blvd is pretty easy to fish

Good luck!
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the info Stratos. I'm gonna try here in Plainville first if I can find somewhere to get in but good to know there's fishin to be had there
avidangler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forestville section is Catch &Release open all year long.Don't be suprised if you catch something 15 inches.Try a nymph or small piece of worm/mealie on a size 8 gold eagle claw beaded spinner.Use just enough weight to get it down and swing it in the current.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Bristol, I go near the part near nucchi's at least once a week. That part of the river seems shallow. I am not familiar with any other part of the river. But if it's fishable somewhere, I'll try it.
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slim. I live in Plainville as well and I know a pretty good access point. It's not catch and release when it gets to a certain point. I was there this past Spring after opening day and I was just standing watching 20-30 trout swim upstream right in front of me over the course of an hour. It was shallow at the time and they'd have to splash to get through some sections. I landed one on a Mepps but it was raining pretty hard so I didn't stay too long. I'm actually heading there right now. PM me and I'll show you.
avidangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the water fall on king street to 177 in plainville is C&R.Above the dam and below 177 to the farmington river is normal regulations.I lived in bristol all my life and now in the forestville section.Going there you never ask if anything was caught.You ask how many?There are the occasional sunny,perch,smallie or largie that are caught.I mainly fly fish there and tend to lean towards that approach there. 90 percent of the time.

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
moose444

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an amazing comeback to those of us old time Bristol residents. As a kid playing in Brackett Park the Pequabuck ran green. The river was so bad the city buried it for a good stretch of town. Smelled like a chemical toilet. The shock when my fishing addicted son began to catch some of the prettiest holdover browns I have ever seen. The river is popular now and does not seem to yield the big fish it did a few years ago when the pressure was lighter. But no matter it is one of the best reclamation projects ever in our state.
avidangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just an amazing comeback to those of us old time Bristol residents. As a kid playing in Brackett Park the Pe bad the city buried it for a good stretch of town. Smelled like a chemical toilet. The shock when my fishing a the prettiest holdover browns I have ever seen. The river is popular now and does not seem to yield the big the pressure was lighter. But no matter it is one of the best reclamation projects ever in our state. "

This was from the mouth area this past spring while fly fishing one of my creations.18 inch and about 3.5 lbs.My friend loved it!
. . . . .I agree moose44. But since the BIG FLOOD the other year all that sand filled many holes and shifted the runs.From Nuchies past 177 isn't what it used to be.If i get the chance i am going to go there to check out the area. i mentioned on Thursday.For a little river and close one,i rarely come back disapointed.

avidangler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i decided to check out the pequabuck.I parked at a friends and walked over to where the copper mine river runs in.
I
I used an eagle claw (gold 8)spinner with a tail hooked mealie and a 1/16 size BB weight.Cast up and across,let it sink,swing and BAM!

I lost one right away.Somebody was hungry because the spinner that i lost was in this ones mouth.

The water was a bit dirty and flowing pretty good.I think i'll head down river tomorrow and scout things out.

6 small C&R browns.Saw a stocking truck near the Boulevard on Thursday so,there are some fish there for those interested.Try checking right above and below the bridges where they were dumped.They should still be close by.

Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They stock the Coppermine heavy. When I was in high school I got dropped off behind Dunkin Donuts in Bristol near Aldies and waded the river all the way down to Plainville near Atlantic Pipe with a friend. That was a lot of fun and some nice fish were caught too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: