CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Motor Selection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmhyland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Motor Selection Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a 14' Sears Gamefisher V-Hull. I mostly use it in small local lakes and ponds. For 99% of the places I fish the trolling motor is perfect. I had a Honda 9.9 from a RIB I own and put that on the boat but it seems heavy and really more that I need. All the places I go have a small HP limit or are No Wake zones.

The 9.9 has always been more trouble that it's worth. I've spent more money than it cost trying to keep it running over the last 10 years.

I'm thinking of a 5HP with and integrated tank.... The Merc looks good, but I have also owned Yamaha and throught they were excellent motors.

Anyone have thoughts on the downsizing, and good motors in the 5 to 6hp range with integrated tank?

Thanks,
Chris
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got a 12 ft sea nymph and a 4hp johnson and the thing flies. i would recommend perhaps a johnson they dont suck gas if you got the right size tank. I basically fill the hole tank up and it will last 5-8 days from what i heard from my grandfather. thats who i got the boat and engine from. before i was born and still working. well not now...... i guess we broke one of the levers pieces inside the motor while moving it from one house to the other..... forgot to put the motor up.........
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
billfish6403

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: small engine downgrading Reply with quote

In the 5 hp category with an integral tank , the Merc is a fine selection.But as far as weight and hp go , it would be silly to forego the 6hp for the same weight and a few dollars more. Mercury is a fine engine but the Mercury is actually produced by Tohatsu. Tohatsu/Nissan is the builder for the Mercury engines up to the 30 hp.

Defender in Waterford has these engines at the best price you can find unless you go to Iboats online. the 4,5,6 all weigh in at 55 pounds where your honda 9.9 is either 83 pounds if older, and 101 pounds if newer
cmhyland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: small engine downgrading Reply with quote

billfish6403 wrote:
In the 5 hp category with an integral tank , the Merc is a fine selection.But as far as weight and hp go , it would be silly to forego the 6hp for the same weight and a few dollars more. Mercury is a fine engine but the Mercury is actually produced by Tohatsu. Tohatsu/Nissan is the builder for the Mercury engines up to the 30 hp.

Defender in Waterford has these engines at the best price you can find unless you go to Iboats online. the 4,5,6 all weigh in at 55 pounds where your honda 9.9 is either 83 pounds if older, and 101 pounds if newer

Billfish,
My Honda 9.9 is 89 pounds. that is too heavy in my book. The boat is a 1989 and is rated for 25 hp. I would bet at the time the rating would have been for a 2 stroke 25hp that weighed around 60 lbs,

I don't need the speed and many places I go have a HP limitation so I think the 6hp with the integrated tank is the easiest way to go.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 4hp nissan on my boat for years with the built in fuel tank ....was more than enough to get me around with my 15 f sylvan w/ sem-v hull . it was a little lite for the river areas with current but could handle any of Ct lakes easly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 lbs sounds very light for a 25hp. I have a 2 stroke 25hp Force that is 90 lbs and was billed as one of the lightest ever made. my yamaha 9.9 is new and weighs more than the Force. light 5hp I would go with a 2 stroke honda yamaha or nissan. I'm sorry to hear you had such a hard time with your Honda. They make very reliable small engines in my experience.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tohatsu/Nissan/Merc all the same. Just sold my 14" with a 20hp. Tohatsu. Exact same as the Merc with different stickers on the cowling. Was a nice engine. Your going to jump $300-400 for an Evinrude and even more for Honda.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: