CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: rod holder mounting suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesseC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: rod holder mounting suggestions Reply with quote

http://www.tools2parts.com/Attwood-5009-4-p/0644-4558.htm?gclid=COvuy6_g67UCFUhV4AodLyUAFg&click=1006

i just bought the above rod holder for my jon boat and i can't really figure out the best place to mount it. It looks like i'm going to have to drill 4 small holes and use metal screws somewhere in the aluminum on the seat or hull, or mayb the transom? (not sure) i'm afraid if i do this wrong my boat might start leaking Embarassed any suggestions would be great. the boat is a 10' aluminum jon pretty much the same design as this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/1stdirect_2250_51433584
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it lvl with the gunwale way above the water line you should be safe from leaking.
use a bolt thru the hull with a self locking nut (stainless steel) is best if you use a sheet metal screw it could rip out .
if you have any problems doing it your more than welcome to swing by and ill give ya a hand with it.
As for the location you can put them where ever there easy to get to and still dont get in your way while rowing or stearing the boat.
Ive got same style on my boat they even have small down rigers for the same mount if your into trolling

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Very Happy i'm going to give it a shot, just trying to understand where i can put it so its level with the gunwale, thats the top edge of the boat right? does that mean it should be ok for me to mount it vertically by drilling the holes in the hull thru the transom? or do you think i'd be better off mounting vertically on the side of the hull right below the gunwale? either that or i was just thinking of drilling the holes in the back seat, so it would be mounted horizontally instead of vertically, plus i wouldnt have to drill thru the hull i guess, the only downside i see to that is it would take up sitting room if it was popping out of the seat i think, but then again i was thinking mayb if i mount it on the far right side of the seat it wont get in the way since i would normally be sitting more towards the left of the boat when operating the small outboard anyways.

btw, whats the advantage of using a downrigger? don't know too much about trolling

thanks again,

-jesse
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down riggers use a weight with a clip release hooked to the line to maintain depth of a lure while trolling .
As for the rod holders its a personal thing where you put the holders, its what suits your needs best.
As for me I have 6 holders 3 each side so I and my company can use a bunch of set ups eather side of the boat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool and thx again for the info, i plan on adding a bunch more eventually anyways so i guess it doesnt matter too much lol
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabela's sells an aluminum clamp on rod holder:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product_read_only.jsp?productId=1580296&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch_catalog_command.cmd%3FfromProductSearch%3Dtrue%26item1%3Dsp-02-0829&WTz_l=CQO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks peco Very Happy those clamp on ones look like they would be perfect!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
thanks peco Very Happy those clamp on ones look like they would be perfect!

They're designed to fit on the gunwales of the Lowe boats that Cabela's sells. If you read the reviews, someone mentioned that they fit best on gunwales that are 2-1/4 inches wide. Also, I didn't see Attwood listed among the compatible rod holders, so you'd have to do a test fit. I just found that it's hard to find the clamp not bundled with a rod holder on the Cabela's website, so here's a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=wp020829

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can screw wherever you want,, use boating silicone waterproof caulk on the screws when you mount it,,as long as its above the waterline,,I wouldnt make holes below the waterline,,
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
you can screw wherever you want

My new favorite flippy quote! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip about the waterproof silicone flippy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: